Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Offset balljoints

Old 04-12-2021, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the feedback, Im pretty mechanically inclined, I just don't have much time on my hands to take apart, plus I don't have a garage anymore (my ex kept the house lol). I called my local guy he said $380 bucks labor. I explained what the alignment shop stated and he said, most shops are used to independent suspension and expect no movement on jeep Bjs. He said most of those shops make a killing on replacing Bjs when they aren't needed. He said jeeps have a specific tolerance in movement and if its within tolerance you don't need to replace them. Very helpful guy, took the time to elaborate possible issues. Im taking to him tomorrow just to take a look at it, downside he's 3 weeks back out for work (he does all work himself). Im glad I came on here before giving the alignment shop the green light.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Can totally understand not wanting to deal with that if you don't have a garage. Everyone has different circumstances to deal with. That guy at the shop should be able to change those things out in 2-2.5hrs, so he's charging a lot per hour, but it also sounds like he's not hard up for biz. I have no clue where "Corona" is for your location. Around Dallas/Fort Worth, it's a $250 job for a shop.

If you have a jack and a shovel, test those ball joints. Jack up one side so tire is off the ground by a few inches, put a shovel or crowbar or something under the tire and step on the handle forcing upward movement. Look for any movement between the knuckle and C by the upper BJ.

Quick Reply: Offset balljoints