Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Offset balljoints

Old 02-25-2016, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by trickynick452
I got the camber numbers when I got an alignment driver side is -.6 passenger side -1.0
Driver is barely in spec, passenger is out of spec.

Should be -0.6 to 0.1 I believe... so yeah, likely both your Cs are bent inward.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So can I just gusset the axle c s to
Prevent further bending and get an adjustable ball joint to bring it back into spec ?
Old 02-25-2016, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

I don't have experience with whether that will be sufficient. I believe so, but will defer to those with more knowledge than me.

Likely have to trim the C gussets to get them to fit properly before welding. I have no idea what the longevity with offset balljoints are.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
I don't have experience with whether that will be sufficient. I believe so, but will defer to those with more knowledge than me.

Likely have to trim the C gussets to get them to fit properly before welding. I have no idea what the longevity with offset balljoints are.
Naaa. At a fraction of a degree, you would never know or notice it. Like I said, I'd gusset it and leave it be. He's bent about a gnats hair. Not worth trying to spend money on replacing good ball joints (assuming that they are good) for offset balls to chase 0.4° on the one side. If it is keeping him up at night, I guess... do it. But that's not something that should bother you as long as your getting the gussets welded in to stop it where it is. If the grease seals start leaking and you pull them out and see that one part of the rubber seal is worn to nothing and the opposite side looks like new, you know that the tube is bent. Time to order a new complete axle.

If bent enough, first you get this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil on parking lot.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	638786

Then you find its from here:

Name:	Leaking seal.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	638785

Then your wife gets mad when she's helping you change seals and gets grease on her like this!

Name:	Momma helping remove seals..jpg
Views:	485
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	638787

And then you start planning to buy your Dynatrack or similar axle assembly from NorthRidge4x4.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We don't recommend adjustable ball joints. They offset a smaller ball to the side to get the adjustability which makes a weak ball joint even weaker. If you have any significant camber, there's a bigger issue.

Also, imagine that you rock your axle back to 90 degrees of caster, your toe in has now turned into camber. On a less exaggerated side, proper caster with proper toe can create the illusion of a little bit of camber, and can read as such.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Stay with the standard or heavy duty ball joints and do a google search for "jeep jk camber shim"
These tapered shims that fit under the spindle allow you to easily correct .5 to +1 degree of camber

Name:	Nike-0218.png
Views:	502
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	638788

Last edited by Riptide9; 02-25-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

It's hardly noticeable I know my axle is off center just bought an adjustable track bar to fix that but I guess I shouldn't be worried about the .4 degree of camber
Old 04-12-2021, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I love this forum! I just went to the alignment shop, because as all jks, once balljoints start going bad, your steering and tire wear starts going to crap. None the less, they showed me my balljoints where shot and had lots of play aside from that, they recommended I get the offset balljoints because my driver's side tire has -1.5 camber and passenger side -1 camber. After reading enough on offset balljoint vs HD adjustable BJs (Terraflex/Synergy), I think i'll just get HD Balljoints. I don't hardcore wheel, but if im there, ill fix it right. I have Sahara JK w/ D30 axle. They quoted me $1800 parts and labor ($850 parts $950labor). They also stated my heim joint was dried up and the shot (play inside the joint) and needed need replacement. Calling my local 4x4 shop to see how much their labor will be. what are your guys thoughts? any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

$1800 to replace BJs is absolutely redonk. $250 for some BJs, and if you can't install yourself I'd guestimate $250-300 for a shop to install. Heim joint on your track bar or what? If that is it, simple bot on component. If you are game for replacing the ball joints yourself, we're here to help. Simple tools....it pretty much just takes time. Probably 3-4 hrs if you've never done it, but it's not technically difficult.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

The camber difference is nothing to worry about. A half a degree is nothing and I wouldn’t suggest offset ball joints at all.

Where do you have heim joints?

And as resharp said, replacing ball joints is pretty simple and you can rent the tool for free from your local auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Offset balljoints