Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Offset and Backspace: How do they relate?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Discount Tire Direct
A 9" wide wheel with a 0mm offset should stick out about 1" beyond your fenders. Maybe a little more if you go with a wide tire.

The tires on my LJ stick out about 2" beyond the fenders and they throw plenty of gunk up on my jeep. My jeep seems likes it. Now if I can only teach it how to shake itself off....

Are those the 0 or -12 ZXs? And the -12 would be 4.5 backspacing, right?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 9" wide wheel with a 0mm offset should stick out about 1" beyond your fenders. Maybe a little more if you go with a wide tire.

The tires on my LJ stick out about 2" beyond the fenders and they throw plenty of gunk up on my jeep. My jeep seems likes it. Now if I can only teach it how to shake itself off....

LOL that would be the trick. What size tires do you have. They look huge like 37's or something.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CruSHeDJkUR
Can some explain an 9.5 wheel with 6.2 BS and +25 offset.
From the back edge of the wheel to the mounting plate of the wheel (the part of the wheel that sets on the hub) there is 6.2 inches of wheel depth. The +25 offset indicates that from the actual center point of the wheel's width the mounting plate is 25mm toward the face of the wheel. The larger the offset number the larger the back space number. A negative offset creates less BS because it puts the mounting plate more towards the back edge of the wheel.

6.2 BS is about what a factory MOAB has and will limit your tires choices. Shoot for a BS of 4.5 give or take a tad.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said that I would extend out by about an inch. SO if I went with a 12.5 inch wide tire, does that mean (12.5-9) / 2 = 1.75 inches will be added to the 1 inch that is already out there making it 2.75 inches past the fender? WIll the Bushwackers flat style fender flairs reduce that over lap?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B.S.

From the back edge of the wheel to the mounting plate of the wheel (the part of the wheel that sets on the hub) there is 6.2 inches of wheel depth. The +25 offset indicates that from the actual center point of the wheel's width the mounting plate is 25mm toward the face of the wheel. The larger the offset number the larger the back space number. A negative offset creates less BS because it puts the mounting plate more towards the back edge of the wheel.

6.2 BS is about what a factory MOAB has and will limit your tires choices. Shoot for a BS of 4.5 give or take a tad.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.

So this would elimate v-tec raptors for me because this is what V5tec lists as their specs.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Can some explain an 9.5 wheel with 6.2 BS and +25 offset.
This thread should help as well

Details: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...o-they-relate&

Thank you.

So this would elimate v-tec raptors for me because this is what V5tec lists as their specs.
In the JK 5-5 bolt pattern, the 18x9.5 Raptor comes with a -12mm offset which equals 4.75" of backspace. This will work for your application

The Raptor is also offered in size 17x9 with a -12mm offset which equals 4.5" of backspace.

Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Are those the 0 or -12 ZXs? And the -12 would be 4.5 backspacing, right?
Yes, they are the 17x9 ET-12 (4.5" BS) Level 8 ZX wheels.

Originally Posted by powrusrg
LOL that would be the trick. What size tires do you have. They look huge like 37's or something.
I wish I was running 37's! They are actually 325/70-17 (35") Wild Peak A/T tires.

Originally Posted by powrusrg
You said that I would extend out by about an inch. SO if I went with a 12.5 inch wide tire, does that mean (12.5-9) / 2 = 1.75 inches will be added to the 1 inch that is already out there making it 2.75 inches past the fender? WIll the Bushwackers flat style fender flairs reduce that over lap?
With 12.50" wide tires mounted, the total the tires will stick out past the factory fenders is about 1.75" to 2" depending on the tire model. Tires brands are just like shoe sizes. Some run smaller while others run larger even in the same size.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am looking at your site for a set of mb 15x8's... i have seen your post saying that the razor, 72, TKO and black choas 5 all fit. I was wondering if the silver chaos 5's would also fit. Those wheels have a -19mtb, -19sm, -19bmf and -19mms... whats the difference between mtb, sm, bmf, and mms?

Also do you have any pictures with the Silver chaos 5's on the jk?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I am looking at your site for a set of mb 15x8's... i have seen your post saying that the razor, 72, TKO and black choas 5 all fit. I was wondering if the silver chaos 5's would also fit. Those wheels have a -19mtb, -19sm, -19bmf and -19mms... whats the difference between mtb, sm, bmf, and mms?

Also do you have any pictures with the Silver chaos 5's on the jk?
The -19 represents the offset. The MTB, SM, BMF, and MMS are the color codes. MTB = Matte Black, SM = Silver Machined, BMF = Black with Machined Face, and MMS = Mirror Machined with Silver Hole.

The Silver 15x8 MB Chaos 5 fits the JK with no issues Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of this size/finish installed on the JK. You could be the first

Quick Reply: Offset and Backspace: How do they relate?