Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Offset and Backspace: How do they relate?

Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Brashanic
yeah. i was wondering if the leverage on primarily spindle components , knows the difference between spacers or backspacing. i have never understood completely if offset comes into play as to leverage. am i making any sense yet?
If the center of wheel is farther from the the wheel bearings, there is more "leverage". It doesn't matter how it gets there.

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-11-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel adapters and offset

Hoping the experts on this thread can give me an answer. I am planning on buying some wheels that come other than the jk 5 x5 bolt pattern. I will have to use wheel adapters such as the teraflex billet steel to fit them on my stock jk flange. Do I subtract the thickness of the adapter directly to the backspacing to get my final backspacing? For example, if I order a wheel with 5.5 " of backspacing and use an adapter with 1.25" width, is my final backspacing now 4.25"?
Is their an ideal backspacing for the jk? If it matters, I am installing the bushwhacker flat fare kit to give a little more clearance on the outside of the wheel.
Ok one last question. Since I haver to buy my desired wheel in an othe than 5x5 bolt pattern is there a strength difference between 5 x 5.5 and 5 x 4.5 wheels --these are my two choices and I am leaning towards 5x5.5 as this seems to be a more common stud pattern and I may upgrade my axles in the future

Thanks in advance for the answers -- when you are about to blow a couple thousand bucks on mods, you hope to get it right on the first try!!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by spooky jeep
Hoping the experts on this thread can give me an answer. I am planning on buying some wheels that come other than the jk 5 x5 bolt pattern. I will have to use wheel adapters such as the teraflex billet steel to fit them on my stock jk flange. Do I subtract the thickness of the adapter directly to the backspacing to get my final backspacing? For example, if I order a wheel with 5.5 " of backspacing and use an adapter with 1.25" width, is my final backspacing now 4.25"?
Is their an ideal backspacing for the jk? If it matters, I am installing the bushwhacker flat fare kit to give a little more clearance on the outside of the wheel.
Ok one last question. Since I haver to buy my desired wheel in an othe than 5x5 bolt pattern is there a strength difference between 5 x 5.5 and 5 x 4.5 wheels --these are my two choices and I am leaning towards 5x5.5 as this seems to be a more common stud pattern and I may upgrade my axles in the future

Thanks in advance for the answers -- when you are about to blow a couple thousand bucks on mods, you hope to get it right on the first try!!!!
Although we do not recommend spacers or spacer adaptors, when used, they decrease the offset/backspacing. A 1.25" spacers adaptor is equivalent to 32mm (31.75mm to be exact) which needs to be taken away from the wheels current offset.

As far as the change in PCD (bolt pattern) I can not accurately tell you which one is better. The Engineer's who designed the JK chose the 5-5 PCD for a reason. Again, we do not recommend spacers or spacer adaptors but if you insist on running them, then I suggest speaking with the spacer manufacturer to find out what they recommend. I would also ask about their liability coverage.

-Matt
Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the answer.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Bump, Lots of questions about this topic.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

What is the offset on a stock 18 inch sahara wheel can someone help with this
Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by slankey
What is the offset on a stock 18 inch sahara wheel can someone help with this
According to my info:

18x7.5 +45 (6" BS)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

I think it will fit, but i'm going to ask anyway. Will a 17x8 wheel with 4.75" backspace and -6mm offset fit and clear the brake caliper on a 2011 JK?
Old 08-31-2011, 07:29 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Yes, they should.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson
I think it will fit, but i'm going to ask anyway. Will a 17x8 wheel with 4.75" backspace and -6mm offset fit and clear the brake caliper on a 2011 JK?
Crap I read the specs wrong. It has a +6mm offset w/ 4.75" backspace on a 17x8, so this should work right? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Offset and Backspace: How do they relate?