Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Offroad Navigation?

Old 09-19-2020, 11:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

How sad is it that I still use several 20+ year old "Guide to (insert state here) Backroads and 4WD Trails" type books. No downloads, just a pencil to make corrections or additions. Talk about tech-saavy-ness...
The following 2 users liked this post by nthinuf:
Dat (09-20-2020), Sv_dude (09-19-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
How sad is it that I still use several 20+ year old "Guide to (insert state here) Backroads and 4WD Trails" type books. No downloads, just a pencil to make corrections or additions. Talk about tech-saavy-ness...
You can’t beat the analog system, it’s absolutely reliable. However, for myself at least, I’ve done enough of that mess in the military and the idea of using a paper map, compass, etc., makes me wanna puke. Haha... I’ll use screens and gadgets these days.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A lot of the places I've made videos of were initially found in decades-old guidebooks.
The following users liked this post:
Lance Davis (09-21-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

What ever off road navigation/ app/ gps gadget you use, it's a good idea to have a non electrical non computerized backup, I have used some of the Garmin handheld gps units that worked great, but I carried a compass with me too, I joke a lot about computerized navigation, and it does work very well, but I don't want to depend on just that
Old 09-20-2020, 10:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Dat
What ever off road navigation/ app/ gps gadget you use, it's a good idea to have a non electrical non computerized backup, I have used some of the Garmin handheld gps units that worked great, but I carried a compass with me too, I joke a lot about computerized navigation, and it does work very well, but I don't want to depend on just that
In the video linked above I recommend a couple things related to this. First, if you use a tablet for navigation, have the same app, maps and route installed on your phone as a backup. Second, carry a set of Gazetteers for the state(s) that you're in. I suggest buy them direct off the Garmin website, because anywhere else probably doesn't tell you if it's the current version or not. Garmin (owner of the publisher, Delorme) sells you the most current version. While a compass can be handy for orienting a map, it's best when figuring out where you are on that map if you can identify some landmarks around you. The Gazetteers are topo maps with lots of detail. Identify a distant feature, take a compass bearing off it, find that feature on the map, draw a line at that bearing to the road you're on, and you know pretty accurately where in the world you are. If you've gotten off the road and lost, then having feature detail will be more helpful than a simple road map (no topo markings). Topo maps may also indicate nearby water sources, should that be needed, and can keep you from taking a direction that is impassable due to some major obstacle (a steep canyon, for example).

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575993
Old 09-21-2020, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

It is nice to have Googlemaps or similar for when you are 100 miles in and there s a fork in the road. Basically you follow roads and head towards the sun or away from the sun. My son is great at adding google waypoints on to his map app on his cell phone, which still works without coverage, and it gets down to 20yard accuracy. And up here you need that as trails are not marked and there is a left or right choice often on trails. Don't need all that fancy multi $100 stuff. Take a look at the Alexander Mackenzie Trail in British Columbia. That is what I am talking about - 280kms of mud, rivers, no roads etc - not much to go on there except past 4 wheelers logged files.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You mean Harbor Freight doesn't offer any sort of GPS systems?

My Pioneer head unit has a pretty decent nav system built in. Beyond that I have a Lowrance Baja 540 on a ram mount with a regional chip. It's nice as I can pull it out when I'm not out running around off the pavement.

in Baja HD

Quick Reply: Offroad Navigation?