Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Off Road Evolution & build advice

Old 04-22-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You cant go wrong with Currie or JE REEL
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
nothing wrong with the AEV, but do yourself a favor and skip the brackets and install adjustable control arms, Its very important on the two door to be able to adjust your pinion and caster, You'll need a new rear driveshaft with a 3.5" lift.
doesn't the front driveshaft typically need to be replaced before the rear?

Last edited by Lotus03; 04-22-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

In your first post you stated you were willing to spend for the best. If that is truly what you feel, call Mel at Off Road Evolution and go with their complete suspension system including control arms. It is absolutely the best performing on and off road system around and when I say off road, it dosen't matter if your in sand or on the rocks. IMO no other suspension system can compare. Good luck with your build.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1 BAJK
In your first post you stated you were willing to spend for the best. If that is truly what you feel, call Mel at Off Road Evolution and go with their complete suspension system including control arms. It is absolutely the best performing on and off road system around and when I say off road, it dosen't matter if your in sand or on the rocks. IMO no other suspension system can compare. Good luck with your build.
cool thanks a lot. Is that the front and rear throwdown systems?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2 door auto and added Rusty's 3.25" lift and had to replace my front driveshaft almost immediately. The angle at the transfer case was severe and was making noise and ejecting grease within 200 miles of the lift. I have adjustable control arms so by raising the rear pinion my rear driveshaft angle isn't too bad right now but I plan to replace it with a CV unit before the end of the year.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lotus03
Hi, I have a 2009 2dr X that is stock. I am planning on lifting and putting on 35's. Basically for the near future I will be driving daily on street with some time on the beach but am going to put some effort to go on trails but mostly riding on the street. Regardless I'm still gonna do it up!

1) I have been considering the AEV / Nth Degree 3.5" Premium Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks

2) 35 Mickey Thompsons tires and wheels (17x9)

3) MBRP S5518 Black off road tail pipe, muffler before axle

4) gear from 3.73 to 5.13

I've read a bit about EVO and King shocks. If I want to incorporate EVO and King into my build does anyone have any good ideas. The front and rear throw down system looks sick and the King direct bolt in shcoks too. Can I incorporate some/all these? Any recommendations on lift? I'm willing to spend for the best. Any ideas on combining these to build sick ride for all purpose use?

Appreciate any comments

All the Best,

D
I like the components of your build given your driving requirements.

I think the EVO shocks and parts are some of the best and if I had no constraints I would run their coilovers and lever system instead of the AEV kit.

I'm running the AEV kit and IMO much of the value of the AEV kit is that is designed to work as a *system* meaning the parts (brackets included) are tuned to work with each other. You can certainly replace or omit or replace any part, but with exception of the original cam bolts they included in the past, I wouldn't recommend this. I replaced the infamous cam bolts with adjustable CAs.

I have seen not the damping profiles (and likely will never see them since they are proprietary) for the AEV tuned Bilsteins or the EVO tuned Kings but they may be significantly different.

The AEV coils and shocks are frequency tuned, so changing the shocks may reduce the road ride quality. The AEV coils are progressive rate and most others are constant rate so it wouldn't make sense for most to tune their shocks to accommodate the variable spring rate. IMO if you are not going to get the full benefit of the AEV kit, there are good lower cost alternatives.

I have been tempted to try this change because I have run Kings in the past on a different rig but its a fairly pricey test.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lotus03
cool thanks a lot. Is that the front and rear throwdown systems?
Yes, the whole package.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

so EVO Enforcer lift
front double throw down
rear double throw down

would be the bomb
Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
You'll need a new rear driveshaft with a 3.5" lift.
Pig, I've heard you and WOL say this a number of times and I believe it's alluded to in one of the Project-JK write ups as well. I've got a question though.

After doing OME heavies on all four corners of my 2-door, I netted at least 3" lift in front (net, as in, after heavy bumpers, rails, tire carrier, etc) and closer to 4" in the rear (a little rake is fine, because I'm level when loaded up for a trip). I used JKS rear UCAs to get back to zero degree pinion angle and the rzeppa joints on the rear drive shaft were anything but compromised; it seems to me the FRONT, not the REAR drive shaft is the one a guy is going to have to replace first based on the acute angles of my front drive shaft post lift.

Note: It's a moot point for me as I have Woods drivetrain front and rear, but most owners don't commit to a thousand bucks worth of custom drive shafts when they do their lift, so I think the discussion has merit for a lot of forumites.

Comments?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mediocre69
I have a 2 door auto and added Rusty's 3.25" lift and had to replace my front driveshaft almost immediately. The angle at the transfer case was severe and was making noise and ejecting grease within 200 miles of the lift. I have adjustable control arms so by raising the rear pinion my rear driveshaft angle isn't too bad right now but I plan to replace it with a CV unit before the end of the year.
EXACTLY my experience, hence my question of Pig (and by extension, WOL).

Quick Reply: Off Road Evolution & build advice