Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Off camber concerns

Old 06-12-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off camber concerns

I was hoping to discuss a few topics and get a little bit of perspective from others.
I'll start off by telling you my setup and what I would 'like' to do next. I have a 2 Dr with an RE 4.5 LA kit intended for a 4 Dr which supposedly netted me an extra inch. Measured up next to my friend with a FT 4 in we sit about the same, however I have bumpers and a winch, so I figure I lost about an inch there which is all fine. I am currently on Pro Comp Xterrains 315/70R17, which should measure out to 34.4 but actually come in just shy of 34.
The terrain I wheel is what we have out in Tennessee, trails, dirt, plenty of off camber situations, steep climbs and descents that make me pretty nervous. I haven't come across something I couldn't make it up or over... yet. I stuff perfect and droop just a little too far. Springs unseat both front and rear, but that's a different story.
I want to move up to 37's. I love how they look, but I am not sure I should. I recently went out with a friend that has a stock Rubicon and was blown away by the places he went. Other than over a bit of rock that would have made clearance an issue, there wasn't anywhere I went he couldn't. A few places were easier for him because he wasn't worried about flopping where I was. Should I have been? I don't know.
All of this got me to thinking, if I go any bigger with my tires, it seems that I would be losing out in a couple of places. I believe under full stuff, even after trimming I would be limiting myself on up-travel. I don't know by how much, I've never been on an RTI ramp. I would have to run it twice, new and old, to have quantifiable, empirical evidence, which I am not willing to do. The other issue is how much more prone to a rollover I would be. Once again, I don't know by how much my critical angle would change. I know I could negate this by removing lift, but that would limit my up travel even more. Like I said, I am just trying to gain perspective on this, make sure I am thinking about this correctly.
Any insight anyone has, or possibly even reassurance that the change experienced would be negligible, would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110612_225021.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	171262   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110612_225108.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	171263   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110612_225204.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	171264   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110612_225221.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	171265   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110612_225248.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	171268  

Old 06-12-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can go a LOT more places on 3 inches of lift and 35's than I did with my stock Rubi.

If you want to go to 37's and don't want to extend your Bumpstops (much) then you could look at flat fenders. 4 inches of lift, flat fenders, and a little trimming should be fine.

If you're worried about stability in off-camber situations, perhaps the Currie Anti-rock would be worth looking into. A properly tuned anti-rock will help out if you're concerned about excessive body roll when you're off camber.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's more that I'm worried about rolling over while off camber. I've been sideways something to the tune of 30 degrees. I was way out of my comfort zone even though I apparently looked fine. I just don't want to get a taller tire and then find out that where I was before is too far now.

Quick Reply: Off camber concerns