Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OEM vs. Crown Tie Rod Ends

Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM vs. Crown Tie Rod Ends

Hey guys, I just bought Crown replacement Tie-rod ends (actually drag link ends to use with RK HD tie-rod). How are these compared to OEM's? I heard Crown ball joints are weaker than OEM ones but what about these? I bought the Rock Krawler HD tie rod which require OEM ends so I went with Crowns. Also, does anyone make HD ends to use with the RK TR?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

My friend installed the bjs and said there Just like the stockers. I don't think anyone other than currie makes the ends, and there ends are only for there bars.

sent by rinkish with a jitterbug
Old 02-03-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Moog draglink end#ES3624 for $28. It fits the stock drag link and is originally for Dodge Heavy duty trucks from around 2003. It's grease-able also. If this is designed for stock drag link, it should fit your RK Tie Rod ends if they use stock drag link ends
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2440034639.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	124285  
Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
I bought the Moog draglink end#ES3624 for $28. It fits the stock drag link and is originally for Dodge Heavy duty trucks from around 2003. It's grease-able also. If this is designed for stock drag link, it should fit your RK Tie Rod ends if they use stock drag link ends
How long have you had these on? Any issues? Are they visibly more beefy than OEM? For $28 that's a bargain and greasable to boot. I'll have to look into these. How did you know these would fit our JK's?
Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Actually, I am putting it on next week. I bought the Currie Tie Rod, but wanted to strengthen my drag link without replacing it since I learned plastic was part of the inside of the end. I did some searches and learned this Moog part was compatible for the OEM drag link and RK tie rods. I will let you know the outcome. Sad, how Chrysler didn't Just use A Dodge 3/4 ton truck part for the the Jeep.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually, I am putting it on next week. I bought the Currie Tie Rod, but wanted to strengthen my drag link without replacing it since I learned plastic was part of the inside of the end. I did some searches and learned this Moog part was compatible for the OEM drag link and RK tie rods. I will let you know the outcome. Sad, how Chrysler didn't Just use A Dodge 3/4 ton truck part for the the Jeep.
Cool, def let me know how it fits and your impressions. I will likely follow suit (well, after I wear out the Crowns.) You would think they would use economy of scale and just visit the parts bin for stuff that can be repurposed. Especially a part used for a larger HD truck.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by renpia

Cool, def let me know how it fits and your impressions. I will likely follow suit (well, after I wear out the Crowns.) You would think they would use economy of scale and just visit the parts bin for stuff that can be repurposed. Especially a part used for a larger HD truck.
Well, I got both on. The Currie Tie Rod is a beast! It must weigh 45 lbs compared to 5 lbs to the stock rod. The Moog drag link end fit perfectly on the stock end. 1st impression; very tight and stable and bumps do not translate much to the steering wheel!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-452670134.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	127350   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3004711100.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	127351  
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I got both on. The Currie Tie Rod is a beast! It must weigh 45 lbs compared to 5 lbs to the stock rod. The Moog drag link end fit perfectly on the stock end. 1st impression; very tight and stable and bumps do not translate much to the steering wheel!
Sweet! This is in my future now. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: OEM vs. Crown Tie Rod Ends