Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

odometer off by how much???

Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I just changed my gears from 4.10s to 5.13s ...
Originally Posted by fish
mine was off 4 mph when i did this exact same gear change. so if i was going 50 on the speedo i was really going 54.
This makes perfect sense if the gear ratio affects the odometer (IOW, the sensors on the wheels are not used to determine vehicle speed). Here's the math (I think; it's been a lot of years since I took college Physics!):

(( 5.13-4.10)/4.10/Pi) * 50) + 50 = 54.00 mph

Which suggests that the reason that the Accupro, Hypertech and AEV programmers have a setting for gear ratio is because gear ratio does affect the speedometer, odometer et al.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(( 5.13-4.10)/4.10/Pi) * 50) + 50 = 54.00 mph. Sorry but I don't agree. By using your formula...if someone put on 42" meats BUT didn't change their gearing, the speedo would be correct? NOT! (and in real life I'm not loud)
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michigan Mike
If you take any wheel, brake caliper and disc/drum off of the rig, what you'll see on the outside of the axle, before the wheel mounting studs is a circular "gear" with square cut "teeth". I'd guess there's probably 100 "teeth". In very close proximity to this "gear" is what I think is a magnetic pick-up. This set-up is the wheel/vehicle speed sensor. It allows the computer to monitor each wheel's speed so it determines when, for instance, 1 wheel is slipping (going faster than the other side/other end) and will apply the BAS or ESP as it's programmed to do. I certainly don't claim to be an automotive engineer but this seems to be intuitively correct.
that is the "abs tone ring" isnt it? is that not what reports everything to the computer, or is there another sensor? with the tj and older jeeps, if you had say 5.13s and 37s it would be the same speedo as 32s and 4.10s. because the sensor was in the t-case. now it is at the wheels, so it makes sense that gearing will not affect it.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

that is the "abs tone ring" isnt it? is that not what reports everything to the computer, or is there another sensor? with the tj and older jeeps, if you had say 5.13s and 37s it would be the same speedo as 32s and 4.10s. because the sensor was in the t-case. now it is at the wheels, so it makes sense that gearing will not affect it.
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is. I mean it makes sense to me to measure the axle rotation(s)
and program for the tire size (rolling circumference) to determine road speed. I really
can't see an easier (with the way it's set-up) way to do it.
JMOpinion
Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

The final gear ratio has NOTHING to do with whether your speedo is correct or not. The speed sensors at each wheel feed info to the computer as the axles rotate. The computer, "knowing" that the tires are 32" diameter calculates the speed per tire rotations. 1 rotation of a 32" tire covers 100.528". 1 rotation of a 35" tire covers 109.53". So the computer is giving the wrong speedometer speed 'cause it "knows" how far a 32" tire travels in 1 rotation but the 35" is going further. Your actual speed is higher than the speedometer says and your traveling further than the odometer says. In this example that difference is 9.375%.
word
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

I recently installed 35" tires, and swapped my stock 4:10 gears to 5:13's. According to my GPS, my speedometer reads exactly 3 mph less than my GPS. I checked the speedo to the GPS before the install; they were dead on. This makes sense because I have just a little more pep now than I did with the stock set up.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bamabanjo
I recently installed 35" tires, and swapped my stock 4:10 gears to 5:13's. According to my GPS, my speedometer reads exactly 3 mph less than my GPS. I checked the speedo to the GPS before the install; they were dead on. This makes sense because I have just a little more pep now than I did with the stock set up.
at what speed? It should be off by a percentage not a number. know what I mean? mikes calc is almost 10%, I got no idea if it is right. if so that would mean that you checked your speed at 30mph or so.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

I checked 3 speeds; 55, 60 & 65. The speedo was showing app 3mph less than the GPS. I will check lower and higher speeds to see is this is consistant.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

at what speed? It should be off by a percentage not a number. know what I mean? mikes calc is almost 10%, I got no idea if it is right. if so that would mean that you checked your speed at 30mph or so.
It's right. And in my case (with 34.8" tires) it's 9.375%
Old 03-04-2009, 02:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

(( 5.13-4.10)/4.10/Pi) * 50) + 50 = 54.00 mph. Sorry but I don't agree. By using your formula...if someone put on 42" meats BUT didn't change their gearing, the speedo would be correct? NOT! (and in real life I'm not loud)
Please walk me through this, Mike--I can't quite figure out how you made the leap from changing gears to putting 42" tires (from what original size?) on.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 03-04-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Quick Reply: odometer off by how much???