Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Odd grinding in 1st gear...can't speed up

Old 09-28-2020, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd grinding in 1st gear...can't speed up

I have an intermittent problem when I press the gas after being stopped and it's hard to describe. It feels like the rear differential gears are grinding or brakes are being applied to the tires. There's no grinding noise. When this happens I let off the gas and then try again. Sometimes it clears up and I drive as normal and sometimes it remains an issue where I feel like something is resisting the more I press the gas.

I had a 2" lift kit installed and I had it re-geared at the same time. My Jeep is a 2007 JKU and it is stock other than the 35" tires, the 2" lift kit, and new gearing in the front and rear differentials. It's an Automatic.

I drove down my gravel driveway and when it started resisting I pressed the gas down more and the back wheels started pushing gravel. You can see the two tire marks where the tires were digging into the gravel. See attachment. I backed up so I could take the picture which is why the marks are in front of the jeep. Could something be causing the front brakes to be applied?

Old 09-29-2020, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

So there is no grinding noise, this is simply a feeling of resistance? Since it's happening after being at a stop, possible the caliper is just sticking on one of the rear corners? When your ring and pinion are grinding, you're gonna hear some not so great noises. The fact you're not hearing anything makes me think that isn't the issue; however, it's not hard to drain the diff and pop that cover off to get your eyes on the internals. I'd eliminate brakes as the culprit before doing that though.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Have you done any calibration to tell the computer about your gearing? The folks who did the work- is it possible they goobered up a sensor in the rear and that's the issue? Maybe a loose connection?? Those plugs can be a pain.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I overlooked that the regear just happened. Thought that was just general background info. Given it was just regeared, I would not be breaking that diff open. I'd be taking it back to the shop to have them troubleshoot it.
The following users liked this post:
mr222jp (09-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Odd grinding in 1st gear...can't speed up