Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

OBA- Has anyone found a good location for a Compressor

Old 03-13-2008, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBA- Has anyone found a good location for a Compressor

Has anyone found a good location to mount a OBA compressor? Something like a Viair compressor...

Doesn't appear to be much room under the hood for it.

Someone suggested to me to lay it down in the rear storage hole, but I thought it may get a bit hot in there and burn the carpet.

Any ideas out there?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

I mounted my Viair 450C inbetween the fog lights in the stock bumper. It fit perfectly there. When I eventually get a real bumper, Im going to mount it on the front crash bar next to the e-disconnect. I saw another forum members pic of this setup a long time ago. They mounted a flat plate to the bar and then the compressor on top of that. I checked mine and it seems like there is enough room there. They had a winch bumper on too. I just cant remember whose pic it was
Old 03-13-2008, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I am guessing it's holding up ok to the elements?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

So far so good. The 450 C is sealed, so its water resistant and is supposed to be ok if it gets submerged briefly. Viair says that its made to be mounted under a vehicle, but its still better off mounted where it has some protection. Not all of their compressors are sealed. Mine does have decent protection in the bumper and the mopar front skid helps too. I also think it will be fine on the crash bar when I eventually move it.

They only thing I do not like about our setup is having the tank where the stock muffler was. I think its just asking to take a hit there. I keep thinking about makin a skid for it.

Last edited by bly109; 03-13-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2 door, so there is no where to mount a tank. I ended up getting the Viair constant duty system and mounting the compressor and tank on the rear lift up storage door. I have all of the electric on 1 plug, so I can unplug it and pull the whole storage door out if I need the storage.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I relocated the muffler using the Cooltech kit with the hopes of putting an aux tank where the muffler used to be. Most aux tanks are considerably smaller than the stock muffler, but a skid plate would still be needed (IMO). I'm waiting until I can figure out good protection for the tank.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah. I saw on here where somebody was talking about doin the evap can relocate and using the evap can skid plate in the stock location to mount a compressor. I think that would be trick.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is mine: Fire Engine Horn - On Board Air
More pictures of my set-up and tank location on page three.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

I mounted my ARB compressor under the drivers seat. It is nice and clean and easy to reach for the air hose to air up. I used a Daystar switch panel on the lower dash for compressor and Locker switches.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I mounted my ARB compressor under the drivers seat. It is nice and clean and easy to reach for the air hose to air up. I used a Daystar switch panel on the lower dash for compressor and Locker switches.
Which ARB do you use? How does it do for airing up tires?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...arb+compressor

Last edited by njjeepthing; 03-14-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Quick Reply: OBA- Has anyone found a good location for a Compressor