Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nutserts?

Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nutserts?

I'm installing PS body armor and have to install nutserts for the first time. I have severe corrosion-phobia! I know to paint/touch up the holes after drilling. Has anyone put a small bead of silicone around the nutserts before installing?? Does it work?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would worry that the silicone could compromise the engagement of the nutsert. It has teeth on both sides that need to grip into the metal. I wouldn't do it. Besides, the nutsert is going to cut into the metal regardless of what you do.

We have tons of people in MI running them without rust issues. You're in CA, shouldn't be any issue at all.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally used a little silicone around the lip of the nutsert. Just for piece of mind. I did paint the holes. but in CA I don't know if I would have been as concerned about it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did the painting of the holes after drilling for mine. But after installing the nutsert I then used the touch-up brush to put a coat of paint around the edge of the nutsert where it touches the sheet metal. Only time will tell if it helps.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Da20captain
I personally used a little silicone around the lip of the nutsert. Just for piece of mind. I did paint the holes. but in CA I don't know if I would have been as concerned about it.
Did the nutsert hold tight? Like invest said ... A wee bit worried about the silicone making the nutsert seat improperly against the sheet metal.
Thx for insight!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Did the nutsert hold tight? Like invest said ... A wee bit worried about the silicone making the nutsert seat improperly against the sheet metal. Thx for insight!
You often find out they aren't tight enough when you go to remove them for some reason.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray some Fluid film around them.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nutserts

Originally Posted by Ripa777
Did the nutsert hold tight? Like invest said ... A wee bit worried about the silicone making the nutsert seat improperly against the sheet metal.
Thx for insight!
Make sure you buck them really good. I had one that started to spin the last 1/2 inch of the bolt and I had to take the entire fender off and drill it out and do it again. Thank god I did not oversize the hole and I was able to put another M6 Riv-Nut in with no problems. I say no sillicone could make things worse.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	633120  
Old 12-29-2015, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thx for tips. U guys r awesome !!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No issues with spinning. I just took them off to get re-powdercoated. USE ANTI-SIEZE on the bolts. I used the nut and bolt installation tool for my install. With a wrench and a little impact driver (not impact wrench) and found that method very effective. Honestly I would probably not ever buy a nutsert tool.

Quick Reply: Nutserts?