Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nutsert help???

Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Nutsert help???

I started to install my smitty bilt body cladding as directed just for looks under my Oder because they match my fenders. I can't not seem to get the nutsert tool to work at all? And I already have 5 holes drilled inside of my jeep.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BossierCity_Jk
I started to install my smitty bilt body cladding as directed just for looks under my Oder because they match my fenders. I can't not seem to get the nutsert tool to work at all? And I already have 5 holes drilled inside of my jeep.
That nutsert tool they give you sucks but all is not lost , replace that little flat part like handle with a 10mm wrench or whatever one that holds the bolts well ( I can't remember the size right now ) that is what I did and had no problems putting on my cladding

Trying to find a picture of what I did , found it

Last edited by jaker t5; 09-06-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5
That nutsert tool they give you sucks but all is not lost , replace that little flat part like handle with a 10mm wrench or whatever one that holds the bolts well ( I can't remember the size right now ) that is what I did and had no problems putting on my cladding

Trying to find a picture of what I did , found it

http://youtu.be/PICdIOeqoWk Thanks for the help I think I'm gonna try this way, we had our tool working for sec then it just got super hard to turn the wrench lol Godzilla strength
Old 09-06-2014, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BossierCity_Jk

Screw those things... I struggled for hours trying to use something like that for my tube fenders. Go to harbor freight and pick up one of these for 20 bucks it will make your life much easier.

Http://m.harborfreight.com/45-piece-...-kit-1210.html
Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Cool

The other solution is to use a impact style wrench, battery battery powered or air powered. That is the ticket with a special tool
Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I guess I should've mention I used a impact also with the one I made , no way in the world would I use hand power on that
Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Yeah I guess I should've mention I used a impact also with the one I made , no way in the world would I use hand power on that
The common el cheapo tool most mfrs supply with their nutserts is useable, but inevitably it'll break before you're done, and you're likely to need meds before the job is done. The video showing the use of a 3/8's impact worked well for me, but I replaced the supplied bolt with a much better grade, a hardened washer under it, and used a bit of anti-seize to ensure things were not binding up. Best to just get a proper Rivnut tool before you start.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made my own tool to install my rock slide stepper slider. Real easy. Used a bolt, nut and washer for the "tool" and a socket and wrench to turn things. Did all ten or twelve nut serts with no problem. The tool was shot at the end but it cost me next to nothing. The nut serts are in very tight. Got the idea from a you tube vidio.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have a pneumatic rivnut tool where I work and its a beast. Automatically threads the nut, one button to cinch it down, one button to back the tool out.
Could have your whole Jeep done in a minute or two.

$800 tool though...
Old 09-07-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sell the threaded rivet tool at Menards too. Is like 25 bucks. Look by the rivets and nuts n bolts.

Quick Reply: Nutsert help???