Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

nub question regarding adjusting upper CA's

Old 04-12-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nub question regarding adjusting upper CA's

I finally have had a chance to get my jeep in the air this weekend and Im already stuck on how to actually go about adjusting the upper control arms.. Do I have to take them off completely to tight/loosen them or can I just suspend the jeep and tighten the big nut for them to tighten or loosen. Ive never worked on my suspension before so can someone explain to me how to lengthen the upper control arms.

Thanks
Ryan

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front and rear with 5.13's gears.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Warlord2
I finally have had a chance to get my jeep in the air this weekend and Im already stuck on how to actually go about adjusting the upper control arms.. Do I have to take them off completely to tight/loosen them or can I just suspend the jeep and tighten the big nut for them to tighten or loosen. Ive never worked on my suspension before so can someone explain to me how to lengthen the upper control arms.

Thanks
Ryan

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front and rear with 5.13's gears.

You probably only want to adjust them a little bit. There are different ways to do it of course, but this is how I have adjusted them many times.

Leave the Jeep on the ground so that there is no chance of it falling off the jack or stands on you. Start with the drivers side arm and only disconnect the front bolt. I am assuming you have FT arms, so before you push the arm off the axle mount, loosen the jam nut. Push the arm off the axle mount. Adjust the arm to your desired length, but remember how many turns you put into it or take out of it so that you can match the other arm to it. Reconnect the arm and bolt it up, but do not torque it down yet. Do the passenger side the same way you did the drivers side.

Once the bolts are back into the mounts, torque the bolts down to 75 ft lbs with a torque wrench. Tighten the jam nuts on both arms and test drive to see if you accomplished what you wanted.

Keep in mind your pinion angle when adjusting for more caster.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the help! I ended up taking off the control arms on both sides and then using a floor jack on the end of the D44 to angle it to how I want. After that just had to adjust the arms accordingly and it came out great. Had no scale so I just eyeballed it and so far its been working great with zero vibs now.

Quick Reply: nub question regarding adjusting upper CA's