Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Now for Tires.....

Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Duratracs because I live in Canada and they are awesome tires in winter. They are also good in soft sand, light mud, trail and gravel road. They are quiet for an aggressive all terrain tires.

Their only drawback is they are not very good in heavy rain because they are wide and there is a bit of aquaplaning.

If I would live in southern USA I would choose Toyo MT or Goodyear MT/R.

Last edited by WARLOCK; 04-10-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: pics
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Matt
How have you guys found nitto trail grapplers in the snow?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
I find them in the ditch all the time during snowstorms.

Kidding (sort of).

If at all worried about snow or ice, get Duratracs.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
I have Duratracs because I live in Canada and they are awesome tires in winter. They are also good in soft sand, light mud, trail and gravel road. They are quiet for an aggressive all terrain tires. Their only drawback is they are not very good in heavy rain because they are wide and there is a bit of aquaplaning. If I would live in southern USA I would choose Toyo MT or Goodyear MT/R.
These are the three I'd consider if I decided to go with new tires (maybe next year for me).

I've had the Toyo MTs and they were simply some of the best tires I've ever came across in terms of traction, wear, noise, and looks.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say the Nittos out of that list. I just got them after my 2 years of research. As for snow, it's all in the driver
Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

Being you live in Texas -- sticky clay, and sharp rocks (when you go), I'd go with the Attitudes or the duratracs. To be honest, I'd probably got with MT/R Kevlar. The rocks in Texas can be unforgiving and when it does snow (it does more than people think -- for those who've never lived there) and gets icy. Obviously that's not a consistent concern, but the rocks and mud are..
Old 04-10-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Just a thought... But have you looked into the Mickey Thompson MTZ? I have had the MTZ and the Claw and they both balanced great and were street friendly.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Had a set of Duratracs on my last vehicle and loved them but I did find myself loosing traction on slick roads. I am considering them again for my Jeep but as the others have mentioned the Goodyear MTRs are also a consideration because of their stronger sidewall.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've ran and still run the 35" Duratracs over the winter months here in Canada and love them if they made them in 37's that's the only tire I'd run all year round (great in winter and got a chance to use them on rocks last October and they performed nice) only weak spot may be their sidewalls.
I've also ran the 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's and loved those in the summer wheeling months performed great just make sure you rotate them or they can cup.
I made the jump to 37's this past week and went with the Goodyear MTR's w Kevlar 37x12.5x17 the main reason WEIGHT one of the lightest 37" tire you can get.... 2 of my buddies run with these and love them. I've heard the nightmare stories of some not balancing easy my 5 did with 2 taking more weight then I'd like but oh well no biggie.
I researched for months and almost went with the Toyo open country MT's heard nothing but good about those except heavy heavy tires.
I'll always run the Duratracs in winter(with steelies) and won't stop.
But after these MTR's wear out in 4 years or so IF and only IF I don't like them I'll drop back down to 35's again and try the Toyo Open Country MT's ..... Good luck !!!
Pics: 35" Duratracs in the snow, 35" Mickey MTZ's with the mesh trail doors, MTR's w Kevlar in pic with the flat fenders
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2485839937.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	544798   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2679370614.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	544799   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2271812079.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	544800   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1911114121.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	544801  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 04-10-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to clarify my terrain: My JKU is my DD so a lot of pavement time. Offroad - Mostly logging roads and muddy conditions. Not really many rocks around here, but my drive a little north to try some in the future. Biggest concern of punctures for me is cut off tree saplings or tree limbs in the woods. Sometimes these can do some damage.

If I go with the Nittos, I was looking at 315/70R17 D rated. Mainly due to the comments on the E rated tires being stiffer and wanting to make sure I maintain a good ride.

In regards to the Nittos, I have read that they are tough and balance well and I think they would maybe perform better in the mud versus the GY duratracs. But I know they are a little heaver and with this being my daily driver and on pavement a lot, I'm not so sure the duratracs wouldn't be better.

How are the goodyear mtrk on road, noise, etc?

Decisions....decisions...
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

The Nittos and the Toyos are very similar in weight and balancing.

In terms of weight, you can reduce wear on the components quite a bit by not getting as wide of tire. Add the height and traction without much mass.

Also, the less wide tires will have better road manners.

Quick Reply: Now for Tires.....