Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Now for Tires.....

Old 04-08-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Now for Tires.....

I think I have my wheels decided on. Now for the tires.

First a little info:
  • My rig is a 2013 JKU with a 2.5 RK Max Travel lift and Rancho 9000 shocks
  • It is my daily driver
  • Terrain is mostly dirt, logging roads/trails, and mud. Not a lot of rock krawling around my town. Although there is some opportunity for some not too far off.
  • Most of my driving is pavement. Mixed city and highway.
  • Looking to go with a 35x12.50R17 or a 315/70R17 size tire

Ties on my short list:
  • Nitto Trail Grappler in a 315/70R17 because it is D rated ( a little lighter and not as stiff sidewall)
  • Goodyear Dura Trac 315/70R17
  • Fierce Attitude MT 35x12.50R17

Based upon the above, what would you go with. If there is another tire that you would highly recommend over these, then please let me know specifics.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd get trail grapplers, unless you have to worry about snow, then I'd pick DuraTracs. However seeing as you live in TX that shouldn't be a huge concern. Just be sure to get C or D load and not an E load tire, as you've already stated. I have Trail Grapplers currently, they are a tough tire. The rest of my family runs DuraTracs, they are probably one of the better off road tires for snow, not so much for mud.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

I have the exact same list for tires that I am currently contemplating over, except I am also considering the 35 or 315 wrangler mt/r kevlar goodyear as well. For the price difference of the kevlar, is it going to be worth it to get for a daily driver, weekend warrior?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not on your list, but I have been real happy with my Toyo MT'S. They balance awesome, have good traction, and have a long wear life. I run my jku at 30psi and they are not too stiff. Only down side I see is weight (they are heavy), but I really don't have experience with a lighter tire to know how much it is really affecting me.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of the three you listed most people seem to rate the Duratrac as best all around performance.
That's what I planned to get but they were out of stock nationally when I needed tires.
I'm having a good experience with BFG AT KOs in 315/75r16 size. They come with 19/32 inch of tread when new. I have 39000 miles on them and still have 13/32 of tread left. I expect to get 85000 or more miles out of them. I run them at 29 psi by the way and rotate the spare in every oil change. I drive in the rain a lot in Portland/ Vancouver metro area and the grip on wet pavement is great. I also drove in our 4-day Snowmaggedon last February and never chained up.

Last edited by HillCountry_Cowboy; 04-08-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any more votes / input.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

I have ran dunlops toyo and bfg over the years. I almost went with the duratracs because I hear nothing but good about them. I did go with the treadwrights in 315 17 inch rim. D rated and for 168 a tire they are amazing. Nothing bad to say all good so far
Old 04-09-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going with Toyo MT 285/75R17 . I have not put them on yet , but soon . I wanted a tire that didn't stick out of the fenders a lot , but wanted some ground clearance . Expensive , but nice tires .
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really having a tough time deciding on tires. From one perspective, since it is my daily driver and it see a lot of pavement I think the GY DuraTrac route would be best. However, I can't get out of my head the Nitto Trail Grapplers. I think they would perform better in the mud and I've heard good things about their toughness balancing easy. But I've also heard they are heavier and I'm afraid they will be louder than the Duratracs. Arrrgggg! Can't decide.

My discount tire salesman seemed to be pushing the Nitto somewhat. Of course they are more expensive. Hmmmm?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

How have you guys found nitto trail grapplers in the snow?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Now for Tires.....