Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Not your usual winch dilemma.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your usual winch dilemma.

To make a long story short I am selling my beloved Land Rover Discovery II to fund my JKU project. The winch question comes in to play as I have a Super Winch X9 on the Land Rover which has served me very well over the last few years on more than a dozen occasions and I’m also very fond of. Due to mods to the Landy I have leave a winch in place so the question is….. Which Winch? I

Click image for larger version

Name:	disco.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	536918
I can…..
1/ Leave the X9 on the land rover as a selling point, just buy another winch for the JKU, perhaps another Super Winch X9 as they can be hand for ~$600-700

Or…..
2/ Pull the X9 and put it on the JKU and replace it on the Land Rover with a new lower cost winch, something like the LP8500 which I can get for about $300

And….
If I leave the X9 on the Land Rover what would you guys recommend as a solid with for the JKU? I am looking in the 9,000 ~ 12,000lb range, I specifically don’t want synthetic line. Line speed is not an issue as it’s an expedition style build and I already have a rock crawler. I’m also open to Hydraulic.
Thoughts?
Dave

Last edited by Range_Time; 03-12-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Range_Time
To make a long story short I am selling my beloved Land Rover Discovery II to fund my JKU project. The winch question comes in to play as I have a Super Winch X9 on the Land Rover which has served me very well over the last few years on more than a dozen occasions and I’m also very fond of. Due to mods to the Landy I have leave a winch in place so the question is….. Which Winch? I

Attachment 536918
I can…..
1/ Leave the X9 on the land rover as a selling point, just buy another winch for the JKU, perhaps another Super Winch X9 as they can be hand for ~$600-700

Or…..
2/ Pull the X9 and put it on the JKU and replace it on the Land Rover with a new lower cost winch, something like the LP8500 which I can get for about $300

And….
If I leave the X9 on the Land Rover what would you guys recommend as a solid with for the JKU? I am looking in the 9,000 ~ 12,000lb range, I specifically don’t want synthetic line. Line speed is not an issue as it’s an expedition style build and I already have a rock crawler. I’m also open to Hydraulic.
Thoughts?
Dave
smart money is to put the cheapest winch you can find on the LR. My guess the LR will be at at price point that whoever buys it will just be happy it has a winch at all.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with jadmt. Im not real sure that having that winch is going to make or brake a sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2014, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback. Also feel free to talk me into a new winch, dont hold back

Quick Reply: Not your usual winch dilemma.