Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Not even 24hrs home.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
First off....how the heck did you not see that rut??? LOL. I can giggle cuz I've done similar...cept mine was while backing up. This right here is the TRUTH -If you can avoid it at all, don't go alone. That said, I know sometimes it's hard to fight the urge. Build to be as self reliant as possible. The problem is that even innocent situations can turn precarious in an instant. Good recovery gear is a must.
Yeah I know. It was dumb to go alone. And you're absolutely right that little innocent situation turned into a 1300 dollar bill for a new diff internals blown spider gear and a new tie rod.

Ordered a smittybuilt xrc bumper and the X20 10k synthetic winch today. But I won't be going alone anymore.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by tompat01
Yeah I know. It was dumb to go alone. And you're absolutely right that little innocent situation turned into a 1300 dollar bill for a new diff internals blown spider gear and a new tie rod.

Ordered a smittybuilt xrc bumper and the X20 10k synthetic winch today. But I won't be going alone anymore.
Well, no shame in learning lessons the hard way as long as it's retained. LOL. You're not the first, only, or last one that will learn.

I'd also add that in addition to proper recovery gear, when heading off the pavement it's always a good idea to take your own tools/supplies just in case there is a little mishap. It really sucks to have an issue and then hope someone else has your back. It also stinks using other peoples' tools that might not be as good as what you have. I take everything I might possibly need with me....just in case. Better to be the person offering assistance on a trail then begging for it. LOL.

And since I'm on a bit of a rant, if you don't have some solid grab bars or something to help get back in your rig while it's in such a precarious situation.....they are well worth it. All too often people go to grab that steering wheel which can be dangerous at times......and the velcro straps around the rollbar as not stable enough to help when your jeep is in a weird position.

Sorry your fun time turned in to some damage.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Well, no shame in learning lessons the hard way as long as it's retained. LOL. You're not the first, only, or last one that will learn.

I'd also add that in addition to proper recovery gear, when heading off the pavement it's always a good idea to take your own tools/supplies just in case there is a little mishap. It really sucks to have an issue and then hope someone else has your back. It also stinks using other peoples' tools that might not be as good as what you have. I take everything I might possibly need with me....just in case. Better to be the person offering assistance on a trail then begging for it. LOL.

And since I'm on a bit of a rant, if you don't have some solid grab bars or something to help get back in your rig while it's in such a precarious situation.....they are well worth it. All too often people go to grab that steering wheel which can be dangerous at times......and the velcro straps around the rollbar as not stable enough to help when your jeep is in a weird position.

Sorry your fun time turned in to some damage.
Ill take all the lessons I can. But I do like learning them from others mistakes or experiences especially when they cost me some $$$.

Im very green to the Jeep scene so any advice on what grab bars are good or gear that you have please let me know. I agree with you its always better being the prepared one and not the one begging.

Quick Reply: Not even 24hrs home.