Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Not even 24hrs home.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not even 24hrs home.

Well got back from my 3 weeks of training for work. The Jeep got the BDS lift and cooper 35s under her. So naturally I had to take it out and test it. Took it out with the GF on Friday nothing too crazy. But when I had it all to myself I went out exploring some new trails. And with all the rain we had here we had some crazy washouts. Well the JK found one about 2.5' deep that I didn't see when going up the trail. Got her stuck really well, had to call my roommate to bring my F150 to get me out. But now the steering feels loose and when I turn left it wants to pull and wobble. I have no clue what's causing this but I'll get under it tomorrow. Also when I was trying to get out I heard a loud snap from the front axel and some clicking when the drivers side front tire is under load and in 4wd. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm sure it will be back in the shop to get fixed.

Enjoy the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo483.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	667675   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo625.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	667676   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo493.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	667677   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo315.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	667678  
Old 03-04-2017, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow crazy pic's . Kinda sounds like you might have broken a axle shaft U- Joint .
Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Had a similar incident back in November. Mine was the passenger shaft. I was also leaking fluid bad when it popped. I'd check shafts, ujoints, pitman arm...mine, well the shaft broke and a cracked my locker. :(
Old 03-05-2017, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
Had a similar incident back in November. Mine was the passenger shaft. I was also leaking fluid bad when it popped. I'd check shafts, ujoints, pitman arm...mine, well the shaft broke and a cracked my locker. :(
Great, Well I guess I'll take a look at all of that, Is there anything that can be seen from just looking at it or am I going to get in there?

Thanks comment guys.

Winch and bumper is coming next. So I can self recover.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You've probably figure out (the hard way) by now that rule #1 is that you never wheel alone. Always wheel with a buddy and always have recovery gear.

Check the axle shaft u-joint near the steering knuckle. If you did break one, check your ball joints as well. If you broke either of the yokes, they can damage the ball joints. You can see all of that without disassembly.

If that all looks good, could be a broken ring gear in the front differential.

If it's pulling to one way or another, check your tie rod. You may have bent it causing an alignment issue.

Good luck. Hope it works out OK.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:42 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start saving pennies. Get rid of that D30 as soon as you're able. I cannot wait till I get rid of mine which hopefully is very, very soon.....

Old 03-05-2017, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Mine was a smidge different/worse. I knew I broke something big time. As soon as I heard the pop, I was oozing diff fluid. All in all, $7k in body repair and a new Tera 44. And indeed, as Shutterbug mentioned, I was wheeling with a group and we took a break. I wanted to "explore".

We pulled the diff cover and r&p looked good. Filled it up and drove back to camp. Still leaking and making a noise, we pulled the shafts and found the passenger shaft broken. It wasn't until home and pulling the locker to see it had cracker. Tie rod was bent. It was a mess.

Good luck...yours sounds easier than mine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1203.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	667680

Name:	IMG_1227.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	667681

Name:	IMG_1207.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	667682

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	667683
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	667684  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah I think it's the tie rod that is causing the steering issue. When I grab on to the tie rod I can move it very easily and the threaded portion on the pass side moves all around, like the threads aren't engaging but it's not pulled out.
It also makes a loud pop when I turn to the left and the steering wheel wants to jerk hard to the right. Going to take it to the shop tomorrow to get it looked over. I wish I had the knowledge and time to work on it myself.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

That is the way the jeep tells you it is time to upgrade
Old 03-07-2017, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

First off....how the heck did you not see that rut??? LOL. I can giggle cuz I've done similar...cept mine was while backing up. This right here is the TRUTH -

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
You've probably figure out (the hard way) by now that rule #1 is that you never wheel alone. Always wheel with a buddy and always have recovery gear.
If you can avoid it at all, don't go alone. That said, I know sometimes it's hard to fight the urge. Build to be as self reliant as possible. The problem is that even innocent situations can turn precarious in an instant. Good recovery gear is a must.

Quick Reply: Not even 24hrs home.