Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Not DW but having trouble

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not DW but having trouble

I am in an 07 jku x. I have 60k miles on it now, I am the original owner. It has a TF leveling kit, 275/70/18's, grade 8 hardwear kit from northridge. I am experiencing a steering wheel shimmy..very noticable at speeds up to about 55 then becomes less above that. Running 35-38psi. I have a clunk when I hit railroad tracks and such so I am pretty sure the ball joints are shot. It has seen very little offroad time, only twice on the beach. Just wondering if TRE's or drag link would be a problem as well. The tires have been balanced and make little to no difference afterwards in regards to the shimmy. Any advice would be great.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would definitely retorque all the front end suspension & steering components (drag link, tie rod, track bar, control arms)... Check for play in the tie rod ends and drag link ends.

It's also, a good idea to swap out the bad ball joints sooner than later.

Synergy HD Ball Joints | Offroad Elements
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Default Check it out

planman (a Forum Tech Advisor) did an excellent write-up on diagnosing steering and suspension problems.

Start here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/

The first step in fixing a problem is correctly diagnosing the problem.

Thanks planman. Your write-ups not only helped me find a bad drag link end, I was also able to verify my ball joints, tie rod and track bar are good thereby saving me from unnecessary repair expenses.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to help.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:35 AM
JK Freak

Yep, Planman has an amazing thread on DW and prevention of it. Its very thurough and even a non mechanical ability havin person could follow it quite easily. I have recommended it to many other people. Its in the write-up section. Definitely give it a look. I was way beyond replacing one thing to fix my DW issue so I replaced the entire front end steering components, but printed out certain things from his thread and use it monthly as part of my maintenance check list. You cant really get more thurough than he did for us.

Last edited by Philip *AZ*; 09-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

How is the track bar bolt hole on the passenger side ? Even with the better hardware sometime the bracket hole is too big and needs a washer welded on.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

The bolt hole is good, no play at all.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same symptoms...thought it was bad ball joints, tuned out to be bad end on track bar. Replaced with JKS, no more problems.

Quick Reply: Not DW but having trouble