Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Not cheap, but friggin' good

Old 02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not cheap, but friggin' good

I have been looking at cold air intakes for a while, and really haven't found one I really like. All designs look pretty much the same, and looks like all gains are about the same. Looking even closer I see things I would do differently. So let me know what you think, or if anyone has done this themsleves please respond:

Making your own cold air intake? I am not cheap, but I want the best results.

I mean, some of these aftermarket ones seem so skinny. I want a wide air tube to allow most air as possible. I don't want metal, because metal doesn't stay cold, and is not heat resistant. I would find a nice plastic or rubber and wrap it with heat resistant tape. Hose clamps should work. I could create a nice box at the end to house a nice size K&N filter that can be found per diameter size.

This doesn't seem like such a hard project. I have installed plenty of these things before on other cars, and know that the hardest part might be to mount the mass air flow sensor, but that doesn't seem all that hard either.

What do you guys think, has anyone made their own?

Last edited by Octane; 02-24-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have not made my own, but have been thinking about it. I don't think it would be that hard to do. I have some idea's in mind. I think I would use metal because it is easier to get my hands on. Also, I think plastic will get just as hot and hold heat. It should not matter if you plan on wrapping the thing in heat tape. Does anybody know if the location of the Air flow sensor is critical?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

The problem is that there are NO cold air intakes made for the JK. Many people call them that but they suck hot air from the engine compartment.

A true cold air intake would suck air from outside the engine compartment.

It would be a wast on the jk engine.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
JK Junkie

A snorkel is technechly a true Cold Air Intake, but they are costly and not worth it unless you do river fording that is deep.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the snorkel. I wish I would have bought one before I got my Airaid CAI.

Howdy
Old 02-25-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing the AEV hood with the Banks intake. From what I have seen it appears that where the air is sucked in would match up perfectly to the side vent on the hood.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth taking a look at JP magazine April 2008 - starting on page 38 they compare 10 different intake kits tested on a 2001 Wrangler. They give dyno readings and pro(s) and con(s) for every kit they tested. Sure, they're not for a JK, but tells you what you'd want on a JK kit.

Quick Reply: Not cheap, but friggin' good