Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this normal for tire carriers?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Droop can be normal and vary from Jeep to Jeep due to frame variances. Usually shims are used if necessary while setting up the carrier. Mine mounted to the frame (AEV) and luckily didn't need shims, but shims were included just in case.

Good luck!!
Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigSkyJeep
Droop can be normal and vary from Jeep to Jeep due to frame variances. Usually shims are used if necessary while setting up the carrier. Mine mounted to the frame (AEV) and luckily didn't need shims, but shims were included just in case.

Good luck!!
Good idea! I could add washers below the bottom bearing to raise the swing arm a little. Thanks a bunch

Last edited by ChryslerChris; 06-23-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JWEBBER
My smittybilt does that with a 37 on it. Its been that way for a year, besides just having to lift up a bit to close the swing out portion, there hasn't been any other problems, doesn't even rattle.

The post on the swing out is carrying all the load in the open position, its going to drop down a bit.
I've been looking at the smittybilt, but just saw some bad reviews about it on 4wd.com. Said it sags and something about his handle coming unlatched repeatedly at highway speeds! Any have opinions/experience with these?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Any resolution? Would be curious to know if you contacted Body Armor to see if the carrier is adjustable.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I just installed mine this weekend and ran into the same problem. My 37 didnt make it sag at all. I love the looks and finish but I think they need to spend a little more time on quality control. I dont think their tire carriers are being built sqaure. I guess we'll see what Body Armor has to say.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedJK2
Any resolution? Would be curious to know if you contacted Body Armor to see if the carrier is adjustable.
I wrote to Body Armor a few days ago and their remedy is to install shims on the pivot base. They will be sending me some in the mail. Will post pics once I get them and let you guys know how well they work!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about this setup but I keep reading the exact same thing from about 80% of the people who own these - sag after you install spare.
I read where one guy torqued everything down after the tire was installed and it cured his sag. Wouldn't hurt to give it shot?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
I've been thinking about this setup but I keep reading the exact same thing from about 80% of the people who own these - sag after you install spare.
I read where one guy torqued everything down after the tire was installed and it cured his sag. Wouldn't hurt to give it shot?
Not sure what to torque a castle nut down with... I don't have the right tool. What is used to wrench on castle nuts?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Not sure what to torque a castle nut down with... I don't have the right tool. What is used to wrench on castle nuts?
I used a torgue wrench and a socket to tighten the castle nut to 50 ft/lbs.
Unfortunately I dont remember the size socket used.
FWIW, Iv got the same tire carrier and after installing it, no problem.
After a few times of opening, it droops a little. I figure Ill deal with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have had mine for 3years now. Stock tire but I always have both gas cans full and hi lift mounted. No problems ever. I think you got a bad one . I'd have them send you a new one.

Quick Reply: Is this normal for tire carriers?