Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is this normal for tire carriers?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal for tire carriers?

I just installed my Body Armor rear bumper and matching tire carrier, checked for swing, made sure everything was installed right, torqued down to the required specs and etc. But after the (god-darn) heavy tire went on, I noticed the carrier swing arm droops enough that when I stow it I have to physically lift it over the bumper lip. I didn't have to do this with the tire off or when the carrier was newly installed.

Also I noticed that since the tire bump stops are now used to shim the carrier now, there is constant pressure against the tailgate, the latch on the tailgate isn't working quite right anymore. The tailgate still locks but it seems "loose" in locked position - like it can jerk back and forth a little when I tug on it.

This is my first tire carrier so I just wanted a sanity check on whether this is normal or not? Did I do something wrong?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Whaddya mount back there, a 35? If so, that's your problem right there - too heavy for the stock carrier.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
Whaddya mount back there, a 35? If so, that's your problem right there - too heavy for the stock carrier.
I don't think he is using the stock carrier....
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't have a tire carrier, but from what you described, I would try to loosen the bolts on the bumper and try to compensate for the droop the tire weight added and then retorque it. I'm not sure if that is possible, but just a thought.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
It's a Body Armor bumper mounted carrier. I've got a link:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12029_403_07.htm
Old 06-23-2011, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Got any photos?
I peaked at your profile too and your staging area is the great lakes not the mid west if you want to hook up with meet and greets, and trail riding.
Cool thanks for the Great Lakes tip. Didn't know I had the wrong region.

I was going to update my profile today but been modding a little lately
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tire carrier should not sag and you should not have to lift it up to close the tailgate. Getting these adjusted just right can be tricky. I would call the manufacturer and have them walk you thru adjusting it to fit correctly.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I just installed my Body Armor rear bumper and matching tire carrier, checked for swing, made sure everything was installed right, torqued down to the required specs and etc. But after the (god-darn) heavy tire went on, I noticed the carrier swing arm droops enough that when I stow it I have to physically lift it over the bumper lip. I didn't have to do this with the tire off or when the carrier was newly installed.

Also I noticed that since the tire bump stops are now used to shim the carrier now, there is constant pressure against the tailgate, the latch on the tailgate isn't working quite right anymore. The tailgate still locks but it seems "loose" in locked position - like it can jerk back and forth a little when I tug on it.

This is my first tire carrier so I just wanted a sanity check on whether this is normal or not? Did I do something wrong?
My smittybilt does that with a 37 on it. Its been that way for a year, besides just having to lift up a bit to close the swing out portion, there hasn't been any other problems, doesn't even rattle.

The post on the swing out is carrying all the load in the open position, its going to drop down a bit.

Last edited by JWEBBER; 06-23-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Body Armor product's is your problem. I have had two of those things and I just think they are crap. I know this doesnt help you problem.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mike-d
Body Armor product's is your problem. I have had two of those things and I just think they are crap. I know this doesnt help you problem.
I dunno, I really like my front bumper. The rear isn't bad either except for the sag issue. It's not terrible but just had me wondering.

I know the instructions suck @$$ though. Aftermarket companies generally wing their instructions and it's annoying (and fairly useless).

Quick Reply: Is this normal for tire carriers?