Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal soft top vs. bowless soft top

Old 01-16-2016, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal soft top vs. bowless soft top

Looking for a soft top for my 13JKUS. I love the Bowles look but wonder about taking it down like you can with a regular top.

I've looked at the trek top nx and smittybult Bowles combo soft top. Price is very similar and I've found a used mopar soft top with all the hardware for $500 which would you guys go with?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally bought the Trektop NX... I loved the fastback look. But I did not like that you cannot take the top all the way down. You can flip the front half back, but the back seat and cargo area are always covered. You can take the side and rear windows out, but it's still not "topless". So, I sold the Trektop NX and bought the Supertop NX. I miss the sloped back look, but LOVE the ability to go fully topless. There are videos and writeups of ways to modify the Trektop to roll up and tuck away....but I prefer the ease of the Supertop.....

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Trektop NX. Good product. Can be a little noisy depending on the wind, but I found was to keep it fairly quiet. Like said above its more of a safari top when windows are removed, but I don't mind that. The Texas sun can be hot and once the top is flipped back it is real easy to completely remove and let my spiderweb shade take over.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't have to have the fastback look, I'd go for the regular top. Like others have mentioned, the trektop nx doesn't go back all the way. However it's pretty light, and I have found it easy to disconnect the top as a whole from the jeep and just lift the top off the jeep. It really boils down to how often and how important being topless is to you. I personally only want the top fully off on a nice sunny beach day or jeep related day. I know a lot of people like to lay it back on their way home from work and such.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

I have a hardtop and a bestop supertop factory style. I like being able to lay the top back, but I am going to try to sell and buy a trektop.. Main reason?....I like to have my dog with us and it's next to impossible to get him (and gear) in and out with the top layed all the way back! It's just in the way!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1686137277.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	630.7 KB
ID:	634845
Old 01-18-2016, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

After watching the bestop video of them installing the trektop nx it wouldn't be that bad just to take it off completely and take off down the road but #1 concern would be am I able to take the top with me if I took it all the way down we've got the occasional out of nowhere rain showers here in the mountains of WV I'd hate being caught with nothing out in the hills so is be more inclined to go factory style if I've gotta remove it completely to go full topless if that makes sense
Old 01-18-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally like the base trektop, not the NX or anything. Take it on or take it off, easy peasy, no messy gear or clunky shit to drag around in the bush. The whole thing rolls up into a nice noodle and if you're using a tonneau cover it simply fits right in the back between the tailgate and the sports bar.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I personally like the base trektop, not the NX or anything. Take it on or take it off, easy peasy, no messy gear or clunky shit to drag around in the bush. The whole thing rolls up into a nice noodle and if you're using a tonneau cover it simply fits right in the back between the tailgate and the sports bar.
This may sound dumb but what the difference between the trektop and the nx?
Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Off Road Heros fast back style top. It is completely modular so I can cover any part of the Jeep or go completely topless. I can put the entire top on in less than 8 mins and be topless in less than 3. Best part is it completely comes off and rolls up and stores under the back seat to be completely topless. No bows, no spring loaded mechanisms, no extra crap. Two of my friends dumped their Trektop NXs and bought these.

Of course everything is not perfect. The front panel stays on the Jeep and rolls forward and snaps. Some people don't like that but it doesn't whistle or flap so I have no problem with it. The ordering process is long and frustrating and if you want one by summer you have to order now. I think they are a bit more expensive than a Trektop. Especially if you get it lined (I wish I would have for the transition months).
Old 01-19-2016, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wvrob86
Looking for a soft top for my 13JKUS. I love the Bowles look but wonder about taking it down like you can with a regular top. I've looked at the trek top nx and smittybult Bowles combo soft top. Price is very similar and I've found a used mopar soft top with all the hardware for $500 which would you guys go with?
I like the MOPAR Premium Sunrider Soft Top the best. I use it along with a SpiderWebShade beneath it.

I leave the Premium on most of the year, and Hard Top in the winter.

Quick Reply: Normal soft top vs. bowless soft top