Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal axle movement?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I asked the exact same question in post #7 This thread is going in a circle. The answer has been given several times.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dirtman asked the question at the very beginning that could have answered all of this, but anyway...

Originally Posted by bbertram
More pictures if it helps.
This picture shows your problem clear as day. Your trackbar is raised at the axle end, and the drag link is not flipped. You have raised the roll center of your front axle without following with the steering linkage. If you raise the axle bracket 3" (which you did), flipping our drag link to the top of the knuckle will raise the drag link 3" as well.

You need to have the drag link and trackbar both parallel and in the same horizontal plane as each other, or the steering will fight body position during body roll. While the body roll you have is minimal during accel and decel, it is enough to manifest with they way your steering is set up.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Did you happen to raise the rear trackbar also? Or just the front?

I have seen several posts indicating that it is ok to raise the rear without raising the front --> but raising the front without raising the rear can cause issues. (though I haven't read exactly what that issue is. Maybe the directional pull on accelerating/braking you are getting?)
Yes, raised front and stock rear will cause this as well. It will also cause the vehicle to oversteer and become very unpredicatable in corners. The effects are much worse on a 2 door than a 4 door due to the shorter wheelbase.

The limited time I had my rig set up this way, I was able to change lanes on the highway with throttle input.

Originally Posted by bbertram
It is. I get my new draglink flip kit this week, I'll see what happens then. I also may have a worn tierod end, I have to double check that as well.
I can almost gaurentee your problems will go away, for the most part. It's still a lifted vehichle, and with the short arm lift you will still have some issues with suspension geometry that you can't help when using factory brackets. Getting your steering geometry and roll centers squared away is a great help tho.

How high is your rear raised bracket?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel
Ive driven my Jeep around the block like that while I was waiting for my steering knuckle insert to show up and it had the exact same symptoms. I just wanted to see how it felt and it is damn sketchy. I don't know how he drove like that for so long.
I just raised my trackbar and draglink and it was a noticeable increase in bump steer. I could imagine one being higher and the other being lower would be very unsafe.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put on my inverted drag link kit tonight. Drilling the knuckle was fun, finding the drill bit in town was a bit hard and the result.....heavenly bliss. Drives so much better. Its awesome now! I may have to check my alignment now but I can do that tomorrow. Thanks for input and help.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I asked the exact same question in post #7 This thread is going in a circle. The answer has been given several times.
lol, this was the second thread about the same problem. It was answered in the first three replies in his first thread...

But glad the parts are in and it finally drives right.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

True, but no one gave me a reason but just do it besides because you are supposed to. I like to know why you do things. It was explained above why and it made up my mind. Its all good.

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: Normal axle movement?