Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal axle movement?

Old 12-06-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you happen to raise the rear trackbar also? Or just the front?

I have seen several posts indicating that it is ok to raise the rear without raising the front --> but raising the front without raising the rear can cause issues. (though I haven't read exactly what that issue is. Maybe the directional pull on accelerating/braking you are getting?)
Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear was raised many years ago. I'm going to try this in reverse, this may tell me if I have something loose. If it does in reverse then I do. If it doesn't then its suspension geometry?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May or may not be relevant but make sure when you try to diagnose any movement or issues remove your stabilizer, it's job is to buffet any issues you have. I spent a month trying to figure out an issue I had, till I removed the steering stabilizer, and the issues became obvious.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Did you happen to raise the rear trackbar also? Or just the front?

I have seen several posts indicating that it is ok to raise the rear without raising the front --> but raising the front without raising the rear can cause issues. (though I haven't read exactly what that issue is. Maybe the directional pull on accelerating/braking you are getting?)
You want to raise the rear TB. Raising the front without the rear will def cause handling issues.
Also ... If the drag link is not flipped or (cough) a drop pitman arm. You will have bumpsteer.

Most kits raise the rear about 3" for a 2.5-3" lift which will help. I woundnt worry about the front.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bbertram
I believe my caster is at 4 degrees. I would have to double check though. I bought myself a big ass torque wrench tonight so now I can torque things down properly and much easier. I believe my mounting locations are fine, no play in the bushing from my video I took tonight however I will need a closer inspection with a driver moving the wheel to really see.

Read pinion angle off the front flange. This will give you a pretty accurate caster angle. Make sure you are on perfectly flat ground.
Stock pinion angle is just shy of +2* and caster around 4.2* = 6* between the two.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found a loose bolt, after tightening it up I still had problems. I disconnected my sway bar to see if body roll had a play, no difference. Checked all the nuts and bolts for torque, all tight as hell. So I can only surmise its my suspension geometry. I have a drag link flip kit coming my way, once I get it on I will see and report back.

EDIT: I did put my enclosed trailer on Monday and found it would not veer left nearly as much when towing. During my testing while not towing if I have it a 2nd gear and can make alot of torque it will veer alot, I can actually steer with my throttle. However my wheel is not moving, so that leads me to believe something is loose. It drives awesome on the highway.

Last edited by bbertram; 12-10-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Junkie

Is your rear track bar raised ?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Is your rear track bar raised ?
It is. I get my new draglink flip kit this week, I'll see what happens then. I also may have a worn tierod end, I have to double check that as well.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Super Freak

So you have the trackbar raised but the draglink is not flipped?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bombout800
So you have the trackbar raised but the draglink is not flipped?
Ive driven my Jeep around the block like that while I was waiting for my steering knuckle insert to show up and it had the exact same symptoms. I just wanted to see how it felt and it is damn sketchy. I don't know how he drove like that for so long.

Quick Reply: Normal axle movement?