Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal axle movement?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

How much lift are you actually running?
Are you running a drop bracket on the frame side track bar. It looks low in the photo,

Last edited by TheDirtman; 12-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3.5" RK lift. Its not a complete lift, it started out as a 2.5" teraflex and I upgraded the springs and control arms to rock krawler. Front trackbar is rock krawler, rear trackbar is teraflex.

I have no drop bracket on frame side for my trackbar, it might be the angle of the picture, I had to see underneath with the phone.

I really don't want to put in larger bump stops up front to prevent the flipped trackbar from hitting the frame and I don't want to notch my frame. I will have to measure my current bump stop and see how much up travel I will loose by using a 3" bump stop. Its looking like getting the drag link flip is going to be needed with my current suspension geometry. Without the trackbar relocation bracket it looks pretty good but it didn't drive good.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

More pictures if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Brandon-20131205-01012.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	514848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brandon-20131205-01011.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	514849  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pull the bracket off and troubleshoot the original problem before throwing money at a flip?
Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Pull the bracket off and troubleshoot the original problem before throwing money at a flip?
I was thinking the same but the problem happened right after (first drive) the bracket relocation install. It made my bump steer a ton better too. I just wish I knew how my left and right movement was happening besides just being told to flip your drag link and make it parallel. I like the reasons of why its happening. So I will remove the bracket this weekend if its warm enough (-26 right now) and if I have time. I can manage the vehicle like this for now, its not scary or unsafe.

I was asked earlier if my vehicle drops or picks up the suspension when I brake or accelerate, it does very minimally. Iif I slowly give it throttle or let go I have zero drop or pickup in the suspension and I still have the left to right veering problem.

If my drawings are not accurate can anyone show me how they should be?
Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

To the OP,

About your side to side movement of the axle, have you checked the track bar for a worn joint? It would cause you excessive side to side movement in the front axle. There will always be some deflection in the bushing end and more so when you are dragging the tire across the ground (vehicle is not rolling). How long ago was our track bar purchased?

RK
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
To the OP,

About your side to side movement of the axle, have you checked the track bar for a worn joint? It would cause you excessive side to side movement in the front axle. There will always be some deflection in the bushing end and more so when you are dragging the tire across the ground (vehicle is not rolling). How long ago was our track bar purchased?

RK

Trying to think how long its been, maybe 6 months. I will get my brother to help me look at it. I need someone to steer the wheel while i watch for play. I had play in my original trackbar and it was causing me death wobble, thus the RK one. I will check the bolt for tightness too.

Its a very annoying problem this back and forth pull, one I do not understand how is being caused by not having a parallel drag link and trackbar.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bbertram
Trying to think how long its been, maybe 6 months. I will get my brother to help me look at it. I need someone to steer the wheel while i watch for play. I had play in my original trackbar and it was causing me death wobble, thus the RK one. I will check the bolt for tightness too.

Its a very annoying problem this back and forth pull, one I do not understand how is being caused by not having a parallel drag link and trackbar.

Definitely take a look at that! Also what caster are you running in the front of your rig?

RK
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

In addition to checking the bolts for tightness be sure to check the mounting brackets for wallowed out holes. The bolts may be tight but a wallowed out hole can be the cause of wobble.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension
Definitely take a look at that! Also what caster are you running in the front of your rig?

RK
I believe my caster is at 4 degrees. I would have to double check though. I bought myself a big ass torque wrench tonight so now I can torque things down properly and much easier. I believe my mounting locations are fine, no play in the bushing from my video I took tonight however I will need a closer inspection with a driver moving the wheel to really see.

Quick Reply: Normal axle movement?