Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal axle movement?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a frankenstein lift. I can take a picture and paint it up. I could be way off, this will show to myself too if I am or not.

I read somewhere a steering stabilizer can make your jeep pull as well. The RC trackbar relocation bracket has a new steer stabilizer mount built in. I can also try taking it off and see what happens.

I have alot to look at and I thank you for all the input thus far.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I need to flip my draglink would this work?

Rugged Ridge 18205.26 Inverted Drag Link for Jeep JK Wrangler : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have an extra pitman tierod end at home.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bbertram
In my research I thought it was you can do either so long as your drag link and trackbar are parallel in the end. Well after the trackbar relocation bracket (raised it), they are much much more parallel then ever and its better with no bump steer really but now I get something different. Maybe at different angles of the trackbar I get different problems? I'm not an expert on suspension geometry and with very little experience I'm learning as I go. To me my drag link and trackbar are pretty parallel but not dead on. I will confirm that is the case in a bit when I get home.

I just see things that I'm not sure of and put it up here for feedback, if I knew what it would all take to go from 2.5" lift to a 3.5" lift I would have never done it, lol. But my jeep does look really good now and everyone and their dog only goes 2.5" lift so I stick out a bit now.
It is the plane of the mounting points that must be parallel. It doesn't matter if the actual bars are parallel.

If you raised the axle side track bar mount without either a drop pitman arm or a drag link flip, the mounting points are out of parallel.

If you flip the drag link, you need more than just an inverted link:
  • You would need at least 3" front extended bumpstops, or you must cut and notch the frame to clear the raised drag link when the suspension articulates.
  • You would need to drill or ream out the top of the knuckle to accept the flipped link end.
  • You would need a tapered insert to install in the top of the knuckle to accept the flipped link end.

If you are running the RC drop pitman arm that comes with an RC axle side raised track bar bracket, you would need to reinstall a stock pitman arm to run a flipped drag link.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are my pictures of my steering geometry. Seems my OEM trackbar mount was best but it had bad bump steer. Did I line things up wrong in my drawing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM trackbar mount.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	514798   Click image for larger version

Name:	with relocation bracket.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	514799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brandon-20131205-01010.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	514800   Click image for larger version

Name:	drag link flip.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	514802  

Last edited by bbertram; 12-05-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Default Normal axle movement?

No, you need to go from the bolt to bolt. I don't see a DPA and that's a recipe for bumpsteer.
You did not have bumpsteer with the stock setup. It was probably a shimmy because of the worn mount.
Bumpsteer is when you change the arc pattern on one without the other like you have it.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The blue line in your first picture is nowhere near the correct axle mount location.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olyelr
The blue line in your first picture is nowhere near the correct axle mount location.
I was trying to find an angle that lets me see the stock mounting location, its pretty close I think. It might have to go up a bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep-jk-track-bar-bracket_1118-cad.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	514807
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Is this problem solved?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Is this problem solved?
No solution has been put in place. So far I'm being told I need a drag link flip but by looking at my drawings I don't think so. It would put me to where I had no track bar relocation bracket (oem location.) Are my drawings above making sense?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

No, your lines are not correct. If you have the frame side track bar in the factory location, the drag link mounted at the factory pitman arm and the axle side track bar on a raised aftermarket bracket you will need a drag link flip.

Quick Reply: Normal axle movement?