Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Normal axle movement?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal axle movement?

This normal axle movement? I can get a better video if need be. It seems to move alot when I turn the tires side to side in my garage.

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9S6-qITvQA
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be helpful to know what you are trying to diagnose? With the weight of the Jeep on the tires, there will definitely be axle movement when you turn the tires and the Jeep isn't moving. You have 8 control arm points and 2 track bar points, all with flexible rubber bushings.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

And the whole thing is setting on 4 coil springs.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was trying to get some input on my video since it was not getting any attention on my other thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-right-290841/

It pulls left under acceleration and pulls right when I let off the throttle. I rotated my tires too, no go.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would say you are experiencing anti-squat or the shift in the weight of your jeep when you acerbate and brake. It changes with lift due to the steering geometry being out of whack.

Does your front end dive down when braking? Does it raise when accelerating?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would say you are experiencing anti-squat or the shift in the weight of your jeep when you acerbate and brake. It changes with lift due to the steering geometry being out of whack.

Does your front end dive down when braking? Does it raise when accelerating?

It does a bit and if my geometry is off I can see how it would do this. I will confirm that on my drive home today. I guess a reverse drag link is in order, heard bad things about drop pitman arms. I will check my drag link and trackbar to see how off they are from being parallel. Funny thing is though, it never did this till after my trackbar relocation bracket was installed. Before the bracket install I had bad bump steer but not the way it is now (pulling left and right.) That is why I don't think its related to suspension geometry. It would of done this before as well wouldn't it?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So you raised the track bar and not the drag link up front?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was already suggested to you in your thread that you can't raise your trackbar without flipping your draglink or using a drop pitman arm. You know what the answer is so have you implemented it?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my research I thought it was you can do either so long as your drag link and trackbar are parallel in the end. Well after the trackbar relocation bracket (raised it), they are much much more parallel then ever and its better with no bump steer really but now I get something different. Maybe at different angles of the trackbar I get different problems? I'm not an expert on suspension geometry and with very little experience I'm learning as I go. To me my drag link and trackbar are pretty parallel but not dead on. I will confirm that is the case in a bit when I get home.

I just see things that I'm not sure of and put it up here for feedback, if I knew what it would all take to go from 2.5" lift to a 3.5" lift I would have never done it, lol. But my jeep does look really good now and everyone and their dog only goes 2.5" lift so I stick out a bit now.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

So we all know what we are working with:

Take the frontal picture suggested in post 2 of your other thread. Use paint or some type of photo editing program to mark the mounting holes and draw straight lines between them.

Then post it.

That should help to prove or disprove, and we can take it from there.

Since the RC trackbar bracket is meant to be used with the RC drop pitman, I don't actually see how using one without the other 'corrected' your angles...

Quick Reply: Normal axle movement?