Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noobie axle leak question

Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noobie axle leak question

Ok, I've never done this before. I just tried to install a Rancho Dana 44 Diff Glide Plate and didn't move fast enough. Had one bolt that wouldn't catch right away for tightening. Differential fluid leaked out and I wiped it up with a paper towel. I've seen on the Forum that if the seal is broken and the diff leaks, the diff needs to be drained and a new seal installed. I've tightened everything back up without the skid plate and cleaned the diff so I can check for any further leaks in an hour or so.

My question is, since I broke the seal and lost some fluid how urgent is it to get the seal and fluid replaced? Is this something I need to take care of immediately or can I still drive the Jeep for a few days. I was planning to go offroading this weekend but should I not go until I get this fixed?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scrape off the RTV and get a lube locker. That way you can reuse it.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! I didn't know about that. I will get a pair of Lube Lockers for the front and rear.

How soon do I need to get the seal replaced? That is my main concern as I don't want to damage anything.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I had a leaky front diff that was dripping a puddle about a foot across over night. Drove it to work for a few days and then to the dealer for other unrelated work and told them not to touch the front diff unless it would be under warranty (they laughed since I had an after market cover on it). My diff cover is ARB and has a dip stick in it, so I knew my oil level wasn't too low during this time.

After a week from when I caused it to start leaking I drained it, cleaned and inspected, resealed, and refilled. Got a buddy that took his front diff cover off to change his oil only to find he had none and had no idea how long it had been that way. So I wasn't too concerned driving around with a leak for a little bit.

Lube Lockers are excellent and what I used. But carry RTV in a trail repair kit.

I would first just tighten the bolts in a star pattern and see if that stops the leak.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks BigLow,

That makes me feel better. I just went out and checked, as I left a clean paper towel under the Differential, and didn't see any fresh fluid. There was a small puddle in the skid plate, I guess where it was still half on while I was fighting the bolts. I've place newspaper under it for the night and will check again before I leave for work.

I won a $100 gift card from my stealership and am ordering the new Mopar Heavy Duty Replacement Cover. Then I will pull off the stock cover, replace the seal and fluid which will probably be sometime next week. Hopefully before I head to Rausch Creek next weekend. Sounds like there have been good results with the Permatex Right Stuff, so I will use that with the new cover.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Welcome!

One last thing you might do if you are concerned about the level is just open the fill hole and put your finger in there to check the level. If it is the stock cover, a normal level would be just about level with this hole. As one can see from my friend's experience it might be a good idea to check as regular maintenance.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks again BigLow. I will check the fluid level tomorrow and top it off, if needed.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went to check the fluid level and as soon as I started to plug the fill plug out, fluid started running out so I guess it is 'overfull' from the factory. I've read that some diff cover bolts go straight through and am wondering if that is all that has happened. I went offroading Saturday and have a nice coating of mud under the Jeep. I see that around the 4 bolts and the full plug the fluid is weeping. Do I really need to remove the cover and reseal or do those bolt go straight through the cover to the fluid?

In my haste to get the factory bolts back in place, I did not put any slicone or loctite on the bolts.

Suggestions appreciated. If I should just replace the cover instead of using a Rancho Differiential Glide or 4X Doctor Diff Skid, I will go ahead and order a new cover and forget the skids. However, I'm reading about aftermarket covers hitting the stock front trackbar. Was looking at Poision Spyder Bomshell or Riddler but still have the stock rubi suspension.

All suggestions much appreciated. Oh, I've already picked up a pair of Lube Lockers.

Quick Reply: Noobie axle leak question