Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noob Winch question

Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by featherz
I've seen that writeup - maybe we CAN do it. But don't you need to wire up the winch/connect to the battery? I know, these are noob questions, but I stated that up front. :P
I'll try to post some pics of this but it really is simple to wire up as well. All you need to do is route the red power lead and the black ground lead up behind your grill or through the first slot on the passenger side, up around the air box and then to the battery. Super simple to do
Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by featherz
I've seen that writeup - maybe we CAN do it. But don't you need to wire up the winch/connect to the battery? I know, these are noob questions, but I stated that up front. :P
If you want your winch to work, yes, you will have to provide a power source. As far as being a noob, how dare you? It's not like we're here to help each other or anything... we're all experts that know EVERYTHING, and our sole purpose is to flame rookies (a la "STFU Newb!").

(NOT!)
Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hope you don't mind me recommending a resource just east of you. Give Quinn (Heather or Steve may answer) a call at All J Products (www. boulderbars.com). They just moved their shop from the Riverside area to Big Bear. These people are genuine, honest and love to support people new to Jeeping. Heather's got a JK Unlimited that's already on 37's (I think). They have installed tons of winches and make super high quality bumpers. They are also members of the Dirt Devils jeep club(www.dirtdevils.org), Quinn's a former Prez, which I also recommend. Good luck. I will probably go with a Superwinch on an Expedition One mount (simple, bang for the buck).

Good luck and tell Quinn and Heather I miss all my SoCal friends.
Kurt in Colorado

Last edited by mizedog; 10-11-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
JK Newbie

winch depot has the smittybuilt xrc8000 for 279.00 shipped!! i think its a good occasional winch if in 2 years you arent happy you can save enough for a hell of a warn winch! just my opinion. wish there was more ladies into jeepin, nothin like breaking a old stereotype lol
Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mizedog
Give Quinn (Heather or Steve may answer) a call at All J Products (www. boulderbars.com).

Good luck and tell Quinn and Heather I miss all my SoCal friends.
Kurt in Colorado
I'll do that! I'm a Heather too, maybe that will get me a discount. :P
Old 10-20-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yet one more noob winch question from me. Changing out the stock bumper for the shrockworks won't affect the safety in a frontal crash or the airbag function, will it?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree that the hardest part of the bumper swap was getting the old one off. I gave up on trying to preserve the plastic "screws" and just punched them out. Be ready to be shocked at the non-existent weight of the factory bumper. I'm not sure it would take a head on collision with a butterfly. Edit - I had a comment about winchplates, but I think the Shrockworks doesn't require one, so never mind.

As for cheaper winches, I run a Mile Marker. Not the greatest in the world, but its served me on the whopping one time per year I wind up needing it. The Ford Ranger I yanked out of a snowpacked trail loves it, I'm sure!

Last edited by T Mac; 10-20-2007 at 06:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 AM
wgr
JK Enthusiast

May i also recommend something...if so...in your case i would use removable winch instead of carrying this extra weigh all around during 11 months when itīs not needed, every year. If you use it only few times, leave it to your home until you really know you might need it. And you would be happy with Warn lightweight 9.5 Rc or T-Max Rc winch. Weights 25% less than these normally used ones and you being a female are able to handle it i am sure. With synthetic rope of course.
Just make a quick disconnection for electric cables, using forklift or similar charging connectors. And this winch also, itīs just 4 bolts to tighten or loose to set it on or take it off.
Anyway, just my opinion. Hope this does not mix you up.
On the other hand, it looks nice you have a winch up front.
Do it your way and have a great time !

Quick Reply: Noob Winch question