Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noob winch owner question - leave it engaged or not?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been running mine in freespool for about 6 mos including cross country trips (1400mi one way) with no problems. I have my plate mounted on the fairlead along with a daystar isolator though so it pretty much holds the hook tight.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmphoto
So, if you were to leave in in free spool...
What exactly would stop it from... well free spooling all the way out while you drive down the highway?

So, not trying to be too blunt... But yes leave it engaged... It's dangerous to leave it in freespool while driving...
The only reason I left it like this was that even though it's called "free spool" it takes almost my entire body weight to get it to move. Not sure if that's normal or what but the line isn't going anywhere.

You do make a good point about a safety issue and based on the responses here, I'll un-wind and rewind the line under tension and then leave it attached to a ring and engaged

Thanks again to everyone for the help and tips!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcharge74
I thought my XRC8 instructions said to keep it in freespool. I'll doublecheck when I get home from work.
Just checked my instructions.....page 1:

"-winch clutch should be disengaged when not in use and fully engaged when in use"

That being said, it states this in the safety precautions as to avoid unintentional starting. It doesn't seem like it's going to damage anything if you leave it engaged. I guess it's personal preference. Just don't have your hands near the fairlead when you plug the controller in. I keep mine on freespool and its never unrolled on me.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by viking
ya I leave mine engaged too with a slight tension on it.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Noob winch owner question - leave it engaged or not?