Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noob questions, mirror reloaction

Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob questions, mirror reloaction

Wasnt sure if this should go in stock or modified tech, since it kinda applies to both. Browsing through some catelogs I came up with some questions. I see the mirror relocation brackets, which I realized you probably need if you plan to take the doors off. Seems easy enought. What about the wiring for the mirrors? Is that obvious what to do once you swap? Then I guess when you put doors back on, you have to move them back to the doors or you would have an opening in the door? Last one, I like the location of extra lights on the window hinges. Can you have lights there as well as reloacted mirrors? Its all in the same general area so just wondering.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

All good questions, I'm pretty interested, too since I haven't done this yet either. So heres a bump!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rayjj
Wasnt sure if this should go in stock or modified tech, since it kinda applies to both. Browsing through some catelogs I came up with some questions. I see the mirror relocation brackets, which I realized you probably need if you plan to take the doors off. Seems easy enought. What about the wiring for the mirrors? Is that obvious what to do once you swap? Then I guess when you put doors back on, you have to move them back to the doors or you would have an opening in the door? Last one, I like the location of extra lights on the window hinges. Can you have lights there as well as reloacted mirrors? Its all in the same general area so just wondering.
you are going to want to buy extra mirrors. As the heated mirrors would require you to take the inner door panel off to take the mirror out once out you would need to cut the wire rendering the heated mirrors useless. The heated mirrors connect to a wire harness inside the door.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Relocated Mirrors just don't look right (IMO), and the passenger-side mirror is next to impossible to be used by the driver.

I use Outlaw Mirrors whenever I take the doors off.

They are high-quality and low-priced compared to moving your good mirrors. They stow well, in the original shipping box, attach directly to the upper (or lower) hing point.

When you are done wheeling, you just pop them off, put your doors back on, and your JK looks normal again.

Best part, is the Outlaws are functional and don't vibrate bad when you're driving out to the off-road park via highway.

Hope this helps,

Karl
2011 JKRU
Old 01-28-2014, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Excellent info, thanks!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

I have and still use the relocation mirror kit. I feel it looks fine, but the previous post is absolutely true…with the doors on, the passenger mirror is pretty useless. I put a "convex mirror stick on" on the passenger mirror in order to help with the problem. It helps a little. Although I like my relocated mirrors, I would get another set that hangs in the door hinge if I were in you're shoes. (I don't have heated mirrors) It's a cheap easy mod that works great.

Her's a couple of pic of my set up…Good Luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	527148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2317.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	527149
Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thx Bob. Lot to consider when I get to this point. Seems like there are a few different brackets and mirrors available, plus I'd also light to put some lights in that area also.

Sent via Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Save yourself a ton of money and fab up a simple mount like the one below. Add some $20 motorcycle mirrors to them and done. Easy on, easy off (you can leave the brackets in place).

Name:	titanium%u00252520mirror%2520bracket.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	527175

Name:	Mirror%u00252520Mount.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	527176
Old 01-28-2014, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx Bob. Lot to consider when I get to this point. Seems like there are a few different brackets and mirrors available, plus I'd also light to put some lights in that area also.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bob has lights up there with his relocated stocker mirrors, so it is possible. Aslo, most of the relocate kits have a black round piece that covers the original hole in the door (also viewable in his pic).

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Best solution...buy an extra set of non heated factory mirrors and put them on these. These put the mirrors about at factory placement and the passengers side is usable with these.

Die-Tech Off-road Mirror Brackets

Quick Reply: Noob questions, mirror reloaction