Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noob Question: What is a C-Gusset

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question: What is a C-Gusset

Rather than asking a bunch of worn out questions, I've been browsing quite a few of the other threads on the various questions about lifts that I have. Some outstanding information out there.

Obviously, from my post title, what is a C-Gusset. I hear it mentioned quite a bit as an option to improve on various lifts, but, well, what is it and what does it do?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Behind your wheel/tires/brakes, at the end of the axle, is a big chunk of metal that kinda looks like a C. The gussets reinforce the C so it is less prone to bending.

The first and third pics show the gussets already welded on.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ittle-30-build...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...VO-AXLEGUSSETS

They are braces that are welded to the axle C's to give them more strength against bending.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Perfect, thanks so much for the pics. I figured someone may have to draw it out in crayon for me, but the pics showing it did wonders.

Follow-up question, why do so many people stress this additional mod with the 3.5" & 4.5" AEV premium lifts? Is it just that my focus has been mostly on the AEV lifts, is there something special about the AEV, or is this mod recommended for most other 3"+ lifts also?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
Perfect, thanks so much for the pics. I figured someone may have to draw it out in crayon for me, but the pics showing it did wonders.

Follow-up question, why do so many people stress this additional mod with the 3.5" & 4.5" AEV premium lifts? Is it just that my focus has been mostly on the AEV lifts, is there something special about the AEV, or is this mod recommended for most other 3"+ lifts also?
It's not so much the lift, but the size tires. The bigger the lift usually means bigger heavier wheels and tires. The C's can bend due to the extra weight of larger and heavier wheels and tires.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
It's not so much the lift, but the size tires. The bigger the lift usually means bigger heavier wheels and tires. The C's can bend due to the extra weight of larger and heavier wheels and tires.
Ahh, thanks!

And Odessa, Nice! Grew up in Lovington, NM. Moved from Midland headed east to Dallas then Shreveport about 3 years ago. Midland/Odessa is good fun though
Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Flaxbourton
Ahh, thanks!

And Odessa, Nice! Grew up in Lovington, NM. Moved from Midland headed east to Dallas then Shreveport about 3 years ago. Midland/Odessa is good fun though
The four wheeling suck though.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to what Robar said - the 'JK' d30 and d44 axles are 5" wider than the axles on previous jeeps, the C's are taller, and jk's themselves are bigger and heavier than previous models. All of this added to the larger tires means that we are seeing a LOT of bent and/or broken housings and bent C's.

You may be fine running a stock axle with larger tires, but if you can afford to strengthen, put some consideration into it...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gotcha. I'm looking at purchasing a 4 door Rubi, so I'm sure the weight will be even higher. Sounds like a good, relatively easy mod to do.

Quick Reply: Noob Question: What is a C-Gusset