Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noob gear question

Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob gear question

Could someone explain the differences and advantages to the different gear ratio upgrades and when you should upgrade? THANKS!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Noob gear question

I put this in another section, but got no response....Could someone explain the differences and advantages to the different gear ratio upgrades and when you should upgrade? THANKS!
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkhooligan
I put this in another section, but got no response....Could someone explain the differences and advantages to the different gear ratio upgrades and when you should upgrade? THANKS!
I am no expert by any means, I can only comment on my direct experience. You would want to consider regearing when you add larger tires. It is all dependent on the tire size that you go to and if you have a manual or auto transmission. I went to a 35 and had 3.73 gears. The shift points
were off and at highway speeds, it was constantly coming out of overdrive. Since I had and auto, I went to a 5.13 with my tires. You can look in the stickies for the chart that tells you what is recommended for your configuration. You may see a couple of miles of increased mpg, but really the nice part is that you get highway gear back. No popping in and out. It just drives much nicer. If you are staying stock, there is no need to change gears. I hope this gives you the general idea.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, thanks..i just got it, so its all stock (2011 jk unlimited sport) automatic....interested in lifting too, want sure what to do first....really want to replace the bumpers though
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Stickied right to the top of this Modified area are some FAQ's. In the Drivetrain section, you will find some rpm charts. Use actual measured tire heights, not mfg's specs. With an auto, anything from 33" on up, you should be looking at 5.13's. 35" on up, start considering how to get 5.38's in there.

Post #33 here has some great info for you:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post2147185

For your lift and tire questions, start with the Lift and Tires sections in the Faq's.

But - before looking at gears and lifts, decide what size tire you want to run. That will dictate the lift height and the axle ratios.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Noob gear question