Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NON-LED/ H4 Headlight Light Write Up

Old 03-07-2016, 03:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edited

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 03-07-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Op, great write up. A ran Delta H4 on my last Jeep. Not as good as my current JWs but better than stock and a whole lot less coin. Don't let the haters bring you down. Internet forums full of them.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
Op, great write up. A ran Delta H4 on my last Jeep. Not as good as my current JWs but better than stock and a whole lot less coin. Don't let the haters bring you down. Internet forums full of them.
+1 It's your ride!
Old 03-08-2016, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

With the cost of the LEDs and the questionable beam pattern, I also went with the H4 upgrade. I went with the Cibbies (w/ city lights replacing my parking lights). 90/110w bulbs throw out lots of light in a great pattern. Yes the color is off, not as white as the LEDs, but they are dead reliable and I can get an H4 bulb about anywhere if needed.

I'm sure i'll eventually go the way of LEDs, but I'd rather let everyone else pay the money to test them while the manufacturers figure out what they are doing first.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hello everyone,
I'm very interested in upgrading the headlights on my 2015 JKU (I came from a 2000 XJ and did this mod) and have been researching this upgrade for quite some time and have a few questions and I figured this thread would be a good one to ask it in. Let me say though, that I don't want to go the route of LEDs/HIDs - how the OP did his is how I want to go.

Isn't an upgrade like this better off with an upgraded wiring harness? Everything that I've read so far pretty much says you need to upgrade your harness (but those threads are years old) to get the true output of the lights, but maybe that's not needed any longer with a 2015+?? I'm too dangerous to myself to attempt to upgrade the harness unless I have a writeup, but the only one I can find is here: Headlight harness how-to - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum - but it was written back in 2009. Would this writeup still be valid on a 2015? Does anyone know of a better, current writeup? Would I see much of a difference between just the headlight upgrade vs. headlight harness and headlight upgrade?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I really do appreciate them and take each one into strong consideration.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

I don't know about upgrading the entire harness that seems less cost effective non the less a lot more work for not much of a pay off. The small harnesses I used are just conversion harness maybe 6"-7"s long converting the standard h13 bulb to a H4 bulb usually a better out put. But the lights are better than any stock ones plus a lot more protected and durable. Hope this kind answers the question.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want killer halogen lights...buy the hella super 7 housing, 55/100w bulbs and a harness from Susquehanna motorsports. Its the best NON LED/HID setup on the move now. It also puts out better light than most other setups as well. My ass is teetering on the edge of selling my truck lites to go with this setup.

The reason the harnesses are recommended is that the PWM wiring harness in the jeep does not fully power the lights to their max capacity. The proper harness drives the bulbs direct from the battery using the stock harness only to trigger the relays. It reacts as the stock lights would, but with much better output.

Last edited by Kojack; 03-08-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by (none)
With the cost of the LEDs and the questionable beam pattern, I also went with the H4 upgrade. I went with the Cibbies (w/ city lights replacing my parking lights). 90/110w bulbs throw out lots of light in a great pattern. Yes the color is off, not as white as the LEDs, but they are dead reliable and I can get an H4 bulb about anywhere if needed.

I'm sure i'll eventually go the way of LEDs, but I'd rather let everyone else pay the money to test them while the manufacturers figure out what they are doing first.
The color is not "off" its correct. The LED and 6000k and higher HIDS color is OFF. Anything pure white/blue puts out less light and contrast than Halogen color.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

This hella kit is almost the exact same setup as what I put together. dust boot and all the only difference is the bulb I didn't go with an100w H4 bulb also the hella kit is close to the $65 per lens.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by holmes4x4
This hella kit is almost the exact same setup as what I put together. dust boot and all the only difference is the bulb I didn't go with an100w H4 bulb also the hella kit is close to the $65 per lens.
The Hella light is A much better desigined housing than the delta. The housings are not all the same. The hella super 7 puts out a longer wider beam. I am not talking about the normal hella 7" housing....the super 7 is a completely different animal.

Here is what the super 7s are designed for. This was taken from rallylights.com.

In response to requests from users in Scandinavia, Hella developed an updated "SUPER" version with specific changes to enhance the performance needed in the land of 24 hour nights:

•The vertical aiming of High beams relative to the low beams, in any lamp that uses a twin filiment bulb, is fixed by the design of the lamp. The "SUPER" lamps have adjusted this relationship to provide more range from the high beams.
•The bulb shield, which prevents stray light, from the end of the bulb, from dazzeling oncoming traffic has been redesigned to allow more light to get to the road in both Low and High beam

Quick Reply: NON-LED/ H4 Headlight Light Write Up