Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NON-LED/ H4 Headlight Light Write Up

Old 03-06-2016, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NON-LED/ H4 Headlight Light Write Up

So I got tired of driving around with the ugly 07 stock headlights fully hazed out and beaten down from summer sun, wheeling and Beach riding. I found that a lot of the LED headlights were way more $$ than I wanted to spend. So I searched around for lights that were a little more cost effective and a little nicer on the wallet. I found that many of the kits that have the H4 Conversion often times approach the $200 mark. The first Kit I found were the KC H4 Conversion kit for $100+ but it was made of similar material as the stock lights with which I was trying to avoid. SO i continued on and found the IPF H4 KIT but again the kit cost around the $200 mark. After deciding I wanted the IPF Lenses I found that the sold the lenses by themselves and thus decided to build my own kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0160.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	639896Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0161.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	915.8 KB
ID:	639897Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0163.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	639898

The lenses, Part # 920HJK from ARB/IPF I purchased on amazon for $42.00 each but can be found elsewhere too. Once received I was very impressed with the quality;Glass was very clear very, very easy clean and wipe down. The socket where the bulbs are inserted are very tight in a good way then after the bulb inserted there is a rubber cover that covers the entire socket very snuggly only leaving the bulb prongs exposed. Once installed noticed 2 things lenses sit further back thus being protected b the grille more and light is much more blended and spread evenly.

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	639894Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0159.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	639895

The Bulbs, I used the Sylvania zXe H4 Bulbs. You can purchase these at any automotive store/Online for under $40 for a pair. I have used them in the past on my Ram pickups and smaller cars and love them. The coloring of them is a cool white hue that has no warm up time. On brightness these Sylvania bulbs fall in-between the silverstars and the silverstar ultras but in terms of white coloring they are whiter than both.

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	639899

The H13 to H4 Harness, While i was researching their weren't to many conversion harnesses alone so I settled on the KC HiLites H4 Harness Part #6307 and payed $20 for the pair. The first things I noticed every thing was very tight, wiring was wrapped in in a vinyl or plastic sleeve. The sockets were nice and in the classic KC yellow which makes it easy for quick indexing where all the harness is on installation. Bulbs fit very tight and are hard to get out if you don't us bulb grease.

$42.00 (x2) IPF Lenses
$40.00 H4 Bulbs + Grease
$20.00 KC Conversion Harness

Couple of tips:
-Defiantly use bulb grease on all the sockets it becomes nigh to impossible to get the bulbs out of the socket if not (believe me I tried)
-Insert the bulbs in the lenses before going outside, it keeps dirt and grit out and off of the Lens.
-Connect the Conversion Harness to the Jeep and then to the blubbered lens
-Use the zip ties provided with the harnesses to keep the sockets in place, its an added piece of mind and it helps keep the sockets snug and grit and dust out.

Installation Very easy, Remove grill unscrew all 4 screws holding the old lenses. Unplug bulbs from jeep wiring. Plug in new harness and zip tie in place. Insert bulb in in new lens and connect into new harness. Line up lenses and screw in new lenses using the original lens retainer and old screws. Before putting grill back on adjust lens high and beam ( they will need to be done). And snap grill back into place. and double check all work.

Finished Work came out nice Looks Clean and Ready To Wheel

Name:	DSC_0157.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	639893Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	639899Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0167.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	945.9 KB
ID:	639900Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0158.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	639894
Old 03-07-2016, 01:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great! Good idea and nice write-up.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can pick up off brand led headlights for just abit more money now that have way more light output
Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You can pick up off brand led headlights for just abit more money now that have way more light output
however, these will have proper light distribution instead of light all over the place like the cheap LED headlights.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

I find its cheaper to replace parts rather than an entire housing also I like the option of changing bulb coloring if desired depending on the application.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll probably never have to replace burnt out LEDs so that's moot. I was just giving you a heads up. And kojack sorry we all don't have perfectly aimed headlights and a cushy Cadillac ride like you. The beam pattern on my headlights is just fine and I haven't had anyone complain. I did have a set of e code h4s before and I would hardly call them an upgrade from the stock. To each their own nonetheless.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You'll probably never have to replace burnt out LEDs so that's moot. I was just giving you a heads up. And kojack sorry we all don't have perfectly aimed headlights and a cushy Cadillac ride like you. The beam pattern on my headlights is just fine and I haven't had anyone complain. I did have a set of e code h4s before and I would hardly call them an upgrade from the stock. To each their own nonetheless.
Agree on the bulbs they are slightly better but the lenses is where you see the best bang the clarity on them is definitely way better than stock and the beam is a lot crisper I believe due to the reflector in the ipf headlights
Old 03-07-2016, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
however, these will have proper light distribution instead of light all over the place like the cheap LED headlights.
Replaced my standard bulbs with LED's and voltage regulators in the stock housings and adjusted the aim. I've never been flashed and drove my wife's car at my jeep to experience for myself and make sure I wasn't blinding other drivers. Looks great, cost less than $75 total including shipping and I won't have to replace a bulb anytime soon. As long as you understand how to aim the housings and cast the light where it's supposed to be there's no reason LED's can't be a cost effective way to greatly improve your stock setup. Bonus, it matches my LED fogs as well so I don't have multiple different colors when everything is on:

Name:	12670597_10103403300081319_5399707682178215482_n.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	639930Click image for larger version

Name:	12729372_10103403299372739_3553657129657316899_n.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	639931Click image for larger version

Name:	originaljeep2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	639932

Sorry to hijack, I love your creative solution and think a glass lens is a great idea as well! Love when people are willing to think outside of the box and find a solution that works for them... That's what modifying is all about!
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by iJeremy
Replaced my standard bulbs with LED's and voltage regulators in the stock housings and adjusted the aim. I've never been flashed and drove my wife's car at my jeep to experience for myself and make sure I wasn't blinding other drivers. Looks great, cost less than $75 total including shipping and I won't have to replace a bulb anytime soon. As long as you understand how to aim the housings and cast the light where it's supposed to be there's no reason LED's can't be a cost effective way to greatly improve your stock setup. Bonus, it matches my LED fogs as well so I don't have multiple different colors when everything is on:

Attachment 639930Attachment 639931Attachment 639932

Sorry to hijack, I love your creative solution and think a glass lens is a great idea as well! Love when people are willing to think outside of the box and find a solution that works for them... That's what modifying is all about!
The picture of your garage door, if that's just headlights...your lights are PISS POOR. That is a horrible beam pattern. there should be a sharp cutoff at the top not a huge blob of light. Acutally I should refrase that. They are piss poor as most LED retrofit systems are in stock JK lights...same with HID. the reflector design does not like retrofitting at all. Once in fog, snow, rain you will be blinded with light spill above the cutoff line that is supposed to be there. I will try to find a shot of proper cut off.

And Chuck....Why not add something to the discussion instead of trying to insult me. makes you look like a child. I said MOST...not all. It depends on which ones. Hell even the super expensive JW evo 2s have a crappy output so its not direct cost to performance ratio. I know however, that MOST....NOT all cheaper LED lights have poor cutoff. Just the nature of the Chinese toss out copies for cheap with no testing. And the Cheap LED bars do NOT perform as good as other forms of light for the said reasons above. I have used most of them. My brother has a cheap 40" bar on the roof of his expy, and it cant even light up to the end of my driveway....piss poor. My HID hellas rip that bar a new one.

Last edited by Kojack; 03-07-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:06 PM
JK Junkie

Here is what I am talking about. Yours look like an exaggerated version of the left light. the right light with the sharp cut off is a proper Light pattern....See the difference?

Name:	pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	639950

Quick Reply: NON-LED/ H4 Headlight Light Write Up