Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Non beadlocks with wheel protection

Old 10-13-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non beadlocks with wheel protection

Is there a wheel out there that offers some wheel lip protection that is not a beadlock. Don't think I need beadlocks for my daily driver. But I do wheel one to two weekends a month. Wanting new Toyo R/T's and putting them on beadlocks seems like getting a hooker to cuddle!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-13-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out level 8 tracker pros. They have the plastic ring that can be replaced. Good prices on them too. Wish they had them on production when I bought mine. I have rock rash around the bead.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Are you concerned about just scraping up the lip, or about breaking a bead? Your standard run of the mill wheel will take a lot more abuse than you would think as long as you're not concerned about them being all shiny when you drive to the mall. The edges on my Fuel Boost wheels are scraped up pretty bad. I wish I had originally gone a different route, but they are what they are and they hold the tire on fine. I typically air down to 11-12psi and am not gentle on them.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Are you concerned about just scraping up the lip, or about breaking a bead? Your standard run of the mill wheel will take a lot more abuse than you would think as long as you're not concerned about them being all shiny when you drive to the mall. The edges on my Fuel Boost wheels are scraped up pretty bad. I wish I had originally gone a different route, but they are what they are and they hold the tire on fine. I typically air down to 11-12psi and am not gentle on them.

Yup... this ^^^

Before I went to beadlocks, I was using the factory aluminium wheels and have the lip of the rims pretty scuffed up from rock rash. They always held a bead though.. would wheel them at 12 psi without troubles.

Bonus is that they looked badass with rock rash... hehehehe
Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

MB11

Tracker Pro and Bully Pro are more popular options.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...n=11&typ=Truck

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ro+5&typ=Truck

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ro+5&typ=Truck

I went with the black MB11's because they were cheaper and had a different look that I kinda dig.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-13-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running Icon Vehicle Dynamics new 'Alpha' wheel: (it has a slight lip and is not a beadlock)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160917_145703.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	658819

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161011_075649.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	658820
Old 10-13-2016, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been really happy with the Bully Pros. They only weight 26.5lbs with the rings and bolts and the scratch rings are easy to replace. I ordered a couple extra rings when I got the wheels but they actually hide the gouges from rocks pretty well so I haven't been motivated to even change them.

They also look really good, I've gotten lots of compliments on them. Actually I frequently find someone checking them out when I walk to my rig like this guy...

Old 10-13-2016, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good looking wheel...

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I've been really happy with the Bully Pros. They only weight 26.5lbs with the rings and bolts and the scratch rings are easy to replace. I ordered a couple extra rings when I got the wheels but they actually hide the gouges from rocks pretty well so I haven't been motivated to even change them.

They also look really good, I've gotten lots of compliments on them. Actually I frequently find someone checking them out when I walk to my rig like this guy...

Old 10-13-2016, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bonechief121
getting a hooker to cuddle!

Old 10-14-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Well the debate is over the Level 8 tracker pro's will be here Tuesday with Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Quick Reply: Non beadlocks with wheel protection