Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noisy soft top questions

Old 12-15-2010, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noisy soft top questions

My girlfriend and I just had our first child and I'm looking for ways to make the interior a little more quiet for my daughter. I have a Bestop Sailcloth soft top, that helps a little. Does anyone have any experience with Bestop's headliner? Also, my header is just a tiny bit loose on the passenger side, so I know that would account for some noise, any suggestions for that without replacing the header? I have a feeling they all eventually do that. I was thinking wind deflector?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

adding some foam weather stripping to the base of your soft top header will help out with the wind noise there. as far as the headliner goes, i've heard that it helps out a lot.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATXFIREMAN - did you ever try one of the wind deflectors? I was thinking about going this same route, but didn't know if it would help with the noice any. Almost seems like it would have to.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
biv
JK Newbie

I had the dealership replace my factory header. On my '08 the factory plastic one was warping while in motion. They replace it with a metal one
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought my '08 so its out of warrenty, but I need to call and see what it would take to get my header panel replaced with the metal one. If the top is opened, is it easy enough to tell what header panel i currently have(plastic or metal)?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a butt load of noise coming from the header. How much is a metal one? And how do I know if it's warrantied? Jeep only has 22k miles, '08.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

EzK - I'm a newbie as well but here is some info that I found on here while searching...there seems to be possibly 2 fixes for the wind noise - one of them deals specifically with the sunrider softtop:

TSB 23-010-09 Rev A - Part # 68049276-AB The complaint/cause was wind noise.

TSB 23-002-08 - It is Part#68026937AB, "Replacement Foam Kit (Jeep JK)", as referenced in TSB# 23-002-08 "Soft Top - Water Leak At Upper A-Pillar Door Seal To Door Rail Interface
SUBJECT:
Wind-Like Sound At Outer Ends Of The Sunrider Soft Top Windshield Header
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacement of the left and right soft top front side bows.

As far as the warranty, I think it's just making a trip to your local dealer and showing them the TSB's and going from there.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by biv
I had the dealership replace my factory header. On my '08 the factory plastic one was warping while in motion. They replace it with a metal one
Exactly what I did. The dealership covered all cost because there was a TSB on it. It replaced the crapy plastic one with a metal one. Noise almost completly gone, before it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel. Now its almost as quiet as the hard top.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

I have an 07 and it is noisy as all get out too. Should I call the dealer and talk to them about it and if they'll replace it or just take the jeep in?? Oh, and what do you guys mean by TSB? Also, anyone know the part number for the metal header? Thanks

Last edited by tattedfire; 01-12-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi

I just called my dealership and the jeep has to be under warranty to be covered by Chrysler. The part is $167.

Quick Reply: Noisy soft top questions