Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noises with teraflex 2.5 lift

Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises with teraflex 2.5 lift

I just had a tearaflex 2.5 lift installed with a billstin shocks. I am hearing a rattle noise whenever i go over a bump and a clunking noise in the front when I brake. these may be normal but i have no idea. Anybody have any ideas what these could be? my apologies for my incompetence.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

I also have the Teraflex 2.5" lift (installed on 2012 4-door). Have had it installed for about 2 years. I have never encountered any of the noises you describe... Not much help other than it is not normal.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take it back to shop that installed and have everything tightened up then report back
Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed the TF 2.5in coil lift with Bilsteins 5100 and Synergy arm myself around a week ago.

Drove around town for two days and went on two trail rides overland style. However, drove up to 80mph on highways and tried to push the Jeep on the trails (drove fast, climbed some stuff, etc.) to have a feeling for its (new) behavior.

No (new) noises.

However, I followed the TF's video, install instructions and several online advice to the letter and spent close to 10 hours (seven if discounting the two front schocks' top studs) doing it alone.

I would flex the suspension to the limit on both sides, front and back, and check if anything is looking "funny" under the Jeep.

Notice that several bolts must be tightened with the Jeep resting on the ground, not lifted.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

if everything is tight and it still makes the noise someone may have fubar'd something which youll want them to fix asap!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:41 AM
JK Junkie

Swaybar bolts tight ? Springs properly seated ? Shock bolts tight ? 3 very common issues I see all the time.
As mentioned .. Did you loosen all CA/TB bolts and torque at ride height (tires on and on the ground)?

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something is loose, bound or a bushing preloaded. Buy a grade 8 kit, then replace the bolts while doing the famed DW checklist in the sticky. That should fix it or atleast help you understand where the noise may be coming from. Also its a necessary upgrade anyways.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The top shock bolts in the fenders are not easy to get to unless you have the right tools. Mine were not fully tight when I first put it on and there was a very slight rattle that I could here when hitting bumps. It sounds like a washer rattling around on the bolt, so it wasn't a loud rattle.

If you had a shop professionally install the lift, I would take it back to them and tell them to look everything over!
Old 07-12-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

figured it out, rear lower passenger lower arm was not tightened downed, would think paying someone 100 bucks an hour they would double check that kind of stuff.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by coliniski
figured it out, rear lower passenger lower arm was not tightened downed, would think paying someone 100 bucks an hour they would double check that kind of stuff.
You would think right? Same issue i ran into with 4wheelparts here locally. After bringing it back 4 times its still not done right. But yes buy a grade 8 hardware kit. My trackbar has some play when i wheel ( thats only when i hear it ). The grade 8 kits are just a tad bigger than the stock bolts which help with that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Noises with teraflex 2.5 lift