Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

noise when in 4wd

Old 09-06-2014, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when in 4wd

So I've got a nasty sounding noise when I go about 10mph in 4wd. Its like a grinding clicking noise. I have about 2mm of play in my front driveshaft joint with the boot on it. Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:13 AM
JK Freak

Not that this may be it, but I was told, "You broke a pin in your front pumpkin that is causing your spider gears to bind."

I was getting a noise similar to what you described. I would only hear it in 4WD, and it was even worse when I turned hard left or right.

I too have about 1-2mm of play in my front DS u joint, but was told that wasn't my problem and that is normal.

So now I'm just looking at regearing and adding lockers since I've got to get it all fixed now.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

It could also be an axle u joint. A much easier and less expensive repair.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

So I think I've narrowed it done to a bearing in my t case. Right where my front drive shaft connects.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was axle related, it would make the noise in 2wd as well. Before you blame your t case, remove your front drive shaft and then go test it in 4wd. If it still does it, then you can definitely eliminate anything t-case forward.

The JK t-cases are really solid and unless you didn't take care of the fluid, it's unlikely to be internal.

Keep in mind that the front drive shaft (and therefore t case yoke) also spin in 2wd since the front axle doesn't have free hubs.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Do you still have the stock drive shaft? Have you checked that top joint?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Its a factory drive shaft. Imma pull the shaft out tmrw and see what's going on.

Quick Reply: noise when in 4wd