Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Noise and vibration problem

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise and vibration problem

Im getting what seems to be a rhythmic noise from what feels like the front end somewhere .When it first started I would notice it when travelling between 50-60 mph. Now however I have noticed that it seems to be at any speed when I am in the 2800-3000 rpm range. Above or below those rpm's and the noise is not there. You can feel it in the gas pedal and the front driver and passenger floorboards. So just to be clear this is a rhythmic noise and also a vibration.

Things I have checked

1 Rotate tires front to back. ok
2 Removed front driveshaft and drove without ds ok
3 Inspect rear ds. Appear ok
4 Checked ball joints ok
5 Torque everything I can get a wrench on for suspension and steering components ok
6 Checked diff fluid level. ok
7 Inspect front shafts ok ( upgraded to 10 factory shafts last summer )

Could this be a vibration from the motor since it only happen at certain rpm's. I'm at a loss and any input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your ring/pinion.Sounds like the problem we had where the ring bolts came loose causing the gears to chip the teeth
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
Check your ring/pinion.Sounds like the problem we had where the ring bolts came loose causing the gears to chip the teeth
X2 on the ring and pinion. May want to Have your pinion angle checked also
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by familytime
I will check that. I wish it wasnt so cold out :(
Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

I am experiencing the similar 2800-3000 rpm vibration. After putting my 09 Rubicon on a lift today at work the front driveshaft is making a terrible click inside and seems to have a little play!?!? I do have a ARB 2.5 lift and run 35x12.50's....any ideas!?!?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Crmoore27
I am experiencing the similar 2800-3000 rpm vibration. After putting my 09 Rubicon on a lift today at work the front driveshaft is making a terrible click inside and seems to have a little play!?!? I do have a ARB 2.5 lift and run 35x12.50's....any ideas!?!?
I pulled the front ds and went for a drive. Made no difference on mine.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Junkie

I pulled the wheels again and checked for play in the unit bearing. Jacked tire off ground an wiggled tire in and out by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire. Had about a 1/4" of play or maybe more on the driver side and virtually no play on the passenger. Their was no movement in the ball joints while doing this. Im going to change the unit bearing and hopefully it is the culprit.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

I changed out the driver side unit bearing in my freezing cold garage. Good news the vibe and noise are gone. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

The vibration that you were experiencing, did it almost feel like the rear tires were skipping? I am currently trying to diagnose a vibration on my '07 and I've had it at EVO and got the full inspection and service and they didn't tell me anything was wrong, just got it back from a drive line shop yesterday and they said its not in the drive line.

After I installed my aftermarket axle shafts my dash has the ABS, ESP and one other light on. Everyone thinking same issue as Biggy?

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, didn't want to start ten different threads about the same problem. Thanks for any advice, help, or ideas in advance.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

It was rhythmic and from the front end . Did you remove or damage the speed sensor on the unit bearing when installing the shafts. A damaged sensor will give you those lights. Are you getting any diagnostic codes

Quick Reply: Noise and vibration problem