Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NOISE - new intake installed, is it normal?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an airaid cai and i have never heard a whistle but I do get the throaty sound but since the afe supertuck exhausthas been put on I dont hear the cai anymore . One question why would it not be right for a jeep to sound like a fullsize truck , my afe exhaust is pretty loud when im in the throttle and I think it sounds kinda tough and turns alot of heads as I drive by people.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by a4x4high
One question why would it not be right for a jeep to sound like a fullsize truck , my afe exhaust is pretty loud when im in the throttle and I think it sounds kinda tough and turns alot of heads as I drive by people.
Yeah i hear yea on that... I guess I'm not thinking ahead. Right now my jeep is pretty stock, but once I get my left, wheels and tires my jeeps look will be able to match the though sound of an exhaust!!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I think throttle body spacers offer 0 performance gains, adding one solved the whistle problem on my avalanche. It was worth buying just to get rid of that noise.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

The noise "whistle" is the air flow going past the throttle body. Smaller opening with more air (CAI with barely any pedal) makes the noise. Throaty sound lots of air wide open throttle body
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
While I think throttle body spacers offer 0 performance gains, adding one solved the whistle problem on my avalanche. It was worth buying just to get rid of that noise.
Normally it is the other way around
Old 06-17-2012, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Normally it is the other way around
You're absolutely correct. I should have also stated that by adding the spacer there is an outside chance that it could get worse. You're basically looking to change the way the air is going through the TB. A spacer would certainly do that.

Quick Reply: NOISE - new intake installed, is it normal?