Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No Rear Sway Bar Analysis

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Big D2
I'm curios what it has taught you. Can you elaborate. Like I said I know this is a sensitive topic, but I would love to hear your input.
Ummm, why would it be a 'sensitive' topic? It is after all just your opinion.

On road handling is a little better since the rear axle is able to move around a little easier. In essence, it's like make the spring rate slightly softer.
In your opinion, this is an advantage and for me, it is not. For me, a stiffer spring rate provides better handling at higher speeds and on the rocks, a softer spring rate is a liability as it will allow for way too much bounce.

As for actual handling, you do notice a slight increase in lean. It almost feels like this is how it should come from the factory. If you go into a turn really fast you will feel that the back end does a little bit more movement but nothing to serious.
Again, for you, this is what you would prefer from the factory and for me, it is not. I would not want an increase in lean and I wouldn't want my back end to be loose especially in a quick maneuver.

Now, on the trail. What a difference! You're able to move at a more faster speed if you prefer while maitaining the same amount of comfort in the ride.
Ummm, how fast are we talking about here and what happens if a deer jumps out in front of you and you try to dodge it? Do you really think that loose end will be able to keep you under control? I mean, maybe you're a professional trophy truck or rally car racer but I am not and the opposing force that is applied by the sway bar is something that helps to keep my Jeep under control. But hey, that's just me. As far as comfort goes, I've been riding on M-Force shocks and now Rancho Resevoir Shocks and have exceptional comfort in my ride even with my sway bar on.

Basically, you're not getting tossed around as much since the axle is able to go over and into obstacles a little easier.
In my experience, if you're getting tossed around a lot, you're probably going over obsticals too fast.

Of camber situations might cause some concern but honestly, I didn't feel like I was approaching the limit. This, however could be deceiving so the only way to actually guage this is with an inclinometer. That's in the garage. Still didn't have a chance to install it. Now, what really caught me by surprise, is that with the sway on (stock springs or BB lift), the Jeep seemed a lot more balanced.
After having wheeled with front sway bars disconnected and with a SwayLOC dual rate sway bar system, I can tell you that for me personally, running a lighter weight swaybar provided MUCH more stability on off camber rock crawling than being disconnected all together. In fact, on my TJ, I am now running a heavier rated rear sway bar to help compensate for my 37's and have only enjoyed the stability it offers.

When you remove the rear sway, it's just like lowering the spring rate in the back. So technically, the rear will compress a little easier (opposite sides off course). Hence, the front will seem a little stiffer. I've tried this both on the trail and mall crawling flexing and the same thing happened. So I guess this and offcamber situations might be the only drawbacks of having the rear sway off.
Again, I have not seen where a softer spring rate on the trail is something I would want. At least, not for the kind of rock crawling I like to do. Even on pavement, I prefer to have a stiffer ride as it helps me to understand what going on while I'm driving. But again, that's just me.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine off my Tj and had a RELA and loved it, Im in the middle of my build right now and was looking at the swaybar yesterday, and as small as it is I cant see that in most driving cases it will be a real big deal.

I dont swerve for deer, to many people panic and run into poles, ditches, and other cars... build a bumper that will take it and head them off at the pass...

Plus, and it is my opinion- I always felt that more flex the better, and if your flexing far enough to dislodge a spring, its time for limiting straps. If you use a shock for limiting flex it wont last long, thats not what they are for. I never have seen a shock pull apart ( but it would be a great vidio ), it will ruin the seals.

On the other side of the coin, all lifts come with extensions, Im not in their R&D so its an assumption, but most manufactures spend alot of time and money in their designs and they probably had them on. If you dont put them on, your more than likely voiding your right to say anything bad about a lift when you break.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

well it took me a few good wheelin trips but i am happy with my currie anti rock it does sway alot more on the street but on the trail its awesome with that said i just oredered the rear anti rock because i to am a firm beliver that the jeep rides better with a rear sway than with out
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

wow, well you are apparently a good enough driver to know how to handle your vehicle and I commend you on that. I'd never run without swaybars either front or back on the road, hard swerve due to idiots pulling out in front of you or the occasional Tiebietan mountain Yak strolling in your lane and without swaybars over your go, the CG is lacking it's stability. You know this, so do most on here, but to each their own.

What would be really cool is if they would have done rear e-discos
Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the fact is that vehicles (including Jeeps) came without sway bars for YEARS, front OR rear. Yeah, the JK might be a lot more advanced, blah blah blah, but in the end, it's your Jeep. Do what works for you.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look close at this pic in the rear you will see the rear sway bar is disconnected and out of the way, I have yet to drop a spring at all.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Well the fact is that vehicles (including Jeeps) came without sway bars for YEARS, front OR rear. Yeah, the JK might be a lot more advanced, blah blah blah, but in the end, it's your Jeep. Do what works for you.
true true but they were also leaf sprung vehicles. i have yet to see a single coil sprung Jeep that didn't come with them. but like you, i'd also say do what works for you
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Actually the JK and TJs required them primarily due to the coil springs and extended sway/flex, older YJs, CJs, army jeeps, yada yada yada didn't need them as much with the leaf spring solid axle rides like a wagon train therefore didn't really need swaybar setups.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jkkat
If you look close at this pic in the rear you will see the rear sway bar is disconnected and out of the way, I have yet to drop a spring at all.

yeah but, you have a budget boost. try that with a true coil lift, longer shocks and control arms that will allow for more articulation and they just might. but, that's a moot point as your sway bars are not designed to keep your coils in place, they are designed to offer stability. What I don't get is that the rear sway bar is made out of such a thin bar compared to the front, I haven't see it prevent or allow for any more flex than if I didn't have mine on at all. I get just as much stuff and max out my existing shocks well before the links could prevent me from more droop. And, with 37" Toyo's mounted on Walker Evan's beadlocks, I almost wish I had a stiffer rear sway bar. Oh well, maybe I'm just crazy
Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
true true but they were also leaf sprung vehicles. i have yet to see a single coil sprung Jeep that didn't come with them. but like you, i'd also say do what works for you

Yeah, you're spot on. The leaf springs kinda act like two components in one. Even some of them HAD sway bars as well. I'm kinda funny about my stuff. I like leavin it real close to stock. It's harder to improve on a vehicle's design than a lot of folks think.

Quick Reply: No Rear Sway Bar Analysis