Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No Rear Sway Bar Analysis

Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Rear Sway Bar Analysis

Finally managed to get some time to take the rear sway bar off. Moved the rear links to the front. I'm running a Rough Country 2.5 BB. Well anyways, I love how much cleaner the rear end looks now.

On road handling is a little better since the rear axle is able to move around a little easier. In essence, it's like make the spring rate slightly softer. As for actual handling, you do notice a slight increase in lean. It almost feels like this is how it should come from the factory. If you go into a turn really fast you will feel that the back end does a little bit more movement but nothing to serious. So may be this is where I should make a note: Please no crying, whinning or anything else why I got my sway off. If you want to add your two cents worth, please do so as long as it's actual input and not the above. I'm sorry, I had to but this is a sensitive topic around here.

Now, on the trail. What a difference! You're able to move at a more faster speed if you prefer while maitaining the same amount of comfort in the ride. Basically, you're not getting tossed around as much since the axle is able to go over and into obstacles a little easier. Of camber situations might cause some concern but honestly, I didn't feel like I was approaching the limit. This, however could be deceiving so the only way to actually guage this is with an inclinometer. That's in the garage. Still didn't have a chance to install it. Now, what really caught me by surprise, is that with the sway on (stock springs or BB lift), the Jeep seemed a lot more balanced. When you remove the rear sway, it's just like lowering the spring rate in the back. So technically, the rear will compress a little easier (opposite sides off course). Hence, the front will seem a little stiffer. I've tried this both on the trail and mall crawling flexing and the same thing happened. So I guess this and offcamber situations might be the only drawbacks of having the rear sway off.

For now, the sway will stay off since more testing is comming.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Honestly, I am really surprised at your assesment of things but hey, if it works for you, who am I to argue with your opinion. For me personally, I would never run without a rear sway bar as I have found it to provide stability on and off the trail and if there were a good dual rate sway bar system available for the front of my JK, I'd install it over my e-disco anyday. Experience on the trail running with and without a swaybar has taught me a very different set of things but hey, that's just me.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

I'm curios what it has taught you. Can you elaborate. Like I said I know this is a sensitive topic, but I would love to hear your input.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default hey

i am installing that same lift this weekend.. could you post some pics with the bar off.. that may be something i want to look into.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

I'll try and get some up tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default ok thanks.

does that lift ad a noticable difference to the jeep? Also.. what wheel/tire combo are you running?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not sure what would prevent the rear springs from un-seating without the rear swaybar in case of (extensive) articulation of the rear axle. I'm with wayoflife.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:48 PM
JK Freak

Abosolutely it does. It doesn't look stock anymore. You can tell it's lifted a little and it's level. We're running 34's on stock rims with very and I mean very minimal rubbing. And the spare fits too.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D2
Abosolutely it does. It doesn't look stock anymore. You can tell it's lifted a little and it's level. We're running 34's on stock rims with very and I mean very minimal rubbing. And the spare fits too.
__________________________________________________ ___________
i am looking at 33 inch tires and a 15 x 8 or a 15 x 10 wheel.. i want to avoid all rubbing. Eventually will prbably add some coils and go up a couple more inches
Old 04-22-2008, 08:55 PM
JK Freak

unseating a spring while articulating would suck

maybe the shock would prevent that? I dunno

Quick Reply: No Rear Sway Bar Analysis