Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No power with the top/doors off

Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power with the top/doors off

When cruising on the highway ill be sittin in 5th gear and the slightest incline i will lose momentum even tho I'm flooring it sometimes i hav to shift all the way down to 3rd to pick up and maintain speed i figured since its terribly un-aerodynamic with the doors and top off thats the problem and im sure running 35s with stock gearing is also contributing.... i just wanna see if this is normal and if any has any suggestions to help out?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I guess regearing is a good solution i been wanting to do this any way but can i just upgrade the rear dif or do i hav to do front and rear?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal. Mines an auto and it was very common until I installed 5.13's and then it was less frequent (only larger hills and long more gradual inclines ). Then I supercharged it and no longer have that problem. (Expensive "fix").

You need to do both front and rear gears or you will have a catastrophic failure!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepov
I guess regearing is a good solution i been wanting to do this any way but can i just upgrade the rear dif or do i hav to do front and rear?
You have to re-gear both ends. If you do only the rear you will not be able to use the 4wd option.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Ok thanx man once again is it ok just to regear in the rear or do u have to do the front and rear at the same time and also is there anything else besides the ring and the pinion? Do i need a whole new dif or driveshaft or anything ...can u resize the gears in the stock difs?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Woops ok thanx guys by the time i wrote that last reply u guys answered my question
Old 06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mikepov
Ok thanx man once again is it ok just to regear in the rear or do u have to do the front and rear at the same time and also is there anything else besides the ring and the pinion? Do i need a whole new dif or driveshaft or anything ...can u resize the gears in the stock difs?
You can regear the rear and then later on do the front. You will not be able to use 4wd if you just regear one of your axles. Both axles have to have the same gear ratio to use 4wd.

You will need a ring and pinion and depending on the millage of your jeep, you will need either a master overhaul kit or an install kit.

You don't need a whole new differential or driveshaft.

You can regear a Dana 30/44 combo up to 5.13 gears. And regear a Dana 44/44 combo up to 5.38 gears.

Quick Reply: No power with the top/doors off