Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No power to rear locker

Old 01-09-2021, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to rear locker

Trying to get my rear locker working on my 2010 jk and can't seem to get the rear locker to engage with the factory switch. Opened up the diff and got the locker working by applying 12v to it. Tried checking the plug for power and not getting 12v there. Checked the fuse and it's good and therea power going to the relays, even tried other relays. Wheres the next place I should be check
Old 01-10-2021, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Probably the open air wiring from the chassis/body to the diff has broken core. Best way to check is to do all the engaging, turn on the locker in your drive and get the stabbing probes for a multimeter that will penetrate the insulation once you expose the conductors out of that plastic conduit. They are syringe sharp. After you have finished place a small dab of silicone over where the stab hole was to prevent moisture from oxidizing the copper conductor. That procedure would start where the wiring leaves the body heading to the diff, check there for voltage then go to the first attachment on the diff. See how that goes.
The following users liked this post:
Junkyard junkie (01-11-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Just in case, the Tcase must be in 4LO for the axle-lock to work. Another troubleshooting method is to use OBD2 to read the switch command input and also actuate the output. I haven't looked for those particular inputs/outputs, but Appcar DiagFCA has most everything like this, and Jscan and AlfaOBD probably have similar. There's a link to OBD scanner software in my sig below.

Last edited by Mr.T; 01-12-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 01-11-2021, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would check the voltage just above the body side connector, In case the connector is bad and then at the output of the relay. If the relay is good and has power going out, then I would just run a another double strand wire in a loom to the locker and solder in the plug to it. You can just secure this to the harness already there. Might save you a whole lot of work.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it is a bad wire as mentioned above, here's a replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...MAAOSwDFBaAibm

Or just the pigtail, if the connector is bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...EAAOSweTlbqXjH

Quick Reply: No power to rear locker