Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No LSD what to do?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No LSD what to do?

I found out last nigh my Jeep X doesnt have Limited Slip in the rear. I dont live near any mud, only the beach that i can drive on and theres 3 trails within 4 hours that i want to wheel eventually.

Im a broke college kid, but ill save for my jeep lol. Anyways does any one have any good cheap options that could help my jeep become more capable offroad?

Should i get a used LSD for the rear, just add a front Aussie? whats the cheapest, but most effective way to help my situation and BTW Arb's arent in my future, way too expensive for my daily driver, but like i said i would like to hit some trails every now and then. O yeah and im regearing to 4.88's soon thats why id like to figure this all out while im in the carrier. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cheapest and most impactful route would be a "lunchbox locker", aussue, Lock rite, etc. They replace the spider gears in the rear end and give you an automatic locker for the rear end.

If you are regearing soon, then I would hold out until then and lookout for a LSD takeoff to use.
Tom
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you are regearing look for a take off rear LSD, but i would still go with an aussie up front. I ran one in my 30 that i got at northridge4x4 and you just can't beat it for the price. Install takes a couple hours and is very easy or you could let whoever is doing your gears install it. But for 300 shipped it a great deal.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by redx08
if you are regearing look for a take off rear LSD, but i would still go with an aussie up front. I ran one in my 30 that i got at northridge4x4 and you just can't beat it for the price. Install takes a couple hours and is very easy or you could let whoever is doing your gears install it. But for 300 shipped it a great deal.

what is a takeoff lsd? im guessing just a used one lol?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
LVE
JK Enthusiast

Just put Aussie in front of mine ($325. delivered with a t-shirt). Its awesome. They are working on the rear but not for sale yet. Auburn makes LSD's for the Dana 44. Ive seen it for around $273.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LVE
Just put Aussie in front of mine ($325. delivered with a t-shirt). Its awesome. They are working on the rear but not for sale yet. Auburn makes LSD's for the Dana 44. Ive seen it for around $273.
are you a daily driver? that seems to work pretty good?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that the JK has a Traction Control System (TCS). Much like how ESP works, if the sensors detect a wheel slipping it will apply brakes to that wheel. It doesn't work quite as good as a LSD, and certainly comes up short compared to a locker, but it will help a bunch in keeping you going on the trail.

You can also go "old school" and gradually apply the emergency brake to force the back wheels to split torque when you in a situation where you can't make forward progress because of a wheel slipping.

If you can't afford a locker, it shouldn't stop you from wheeling! Master without a locker and you'll be way better when you eventually have the money to build up your rig the way you want.

2 cents.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steven4est
what is a takeoff lsd? im guessing just a used one lol?
Yes I sold my LSD for 50 whenever I put in the detroit. The aussie is awesome for dd
Old 03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

i have still had to the park brake trick even with my lsd...it works. saving up for a locker in the rear.(selectible)
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another great option is very simple-- just lower your air pressure. At 10 PSI your Jeep will go places in the sand and trails like never before. Invest in a small air compressor and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: No LSD what to do?