Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No longer a daily driver! will these mods still fit my needs

Old 02-27-2016, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No longer a daily driver! will these mods still fit my needs

Hello all!
I have been on this forum lots but never posted. So I have a 2007 wrangler unlimited x. It has the 4.1 differential, automatic trans, and ~33" tires on stock rims. The jeep has 150K miles on it and I have retired it from being my daily driver. Success! For jeep use, I generally have one big trip offroading trip a year to a friend's place in Colorado, but mainly I use it in sand as a fishing vehicle. I have always wanted to go up to 35" tires, but considering I mainly use it in sand, will I still have the power needed to float on top of the loose stuff pulling my light fishing trailer (in the sketch phase now...)? Considering I really don't need the extra clearance for the sand I am wondering if it is worth it. So far I think I am going with Nitto TerraGrabbers (what I have now and they are awesome in sand and decent enough on trails) in a ~315 and 17" rim. I am thinking about the TeraFlex 2.5" LCG long arm kit so I have some good range of motion but am not super top heavy. So I guess the two questions are. Will I have enough power for sand and hauling a light load with the 4.1 gears or do I need to go to 5.13? Is the TeraFlex 2.5" kit too much considering I really only need the extra articulation once a year or so. It is my fun vehicle now and the warranty is long since expired so it seems criminal to not do things to it. Happy for any other recommendations or mods.

Thanks all!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Welcome To the Toy Club

Welcome to the toy Club. From the start my JK was always a Toy and never a DD. The 3.8L engine is laking in power so I'm not sure how you would feel about 5.13's it might be too much gear for what you are doing. 4.56's would not be a worth the change. I say try it out with 4.10's and see if you think its a dog or not. But a programer is a Must for shift points and tire diameter as well as Re-centering the steering when you get you lift.

I say get a programer to start and work up from there.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A 2.5" spacer lift is plenty for your usage, no reason at all to shell out for a long arm. You want 35's, so get the 35's - and press the OD/Off button every time you get in to keep it out of 4th gear. That will get you by until you have that forehead slapping realization that, wow, it was under-geared straight from the factory and yes, I will go ahead and throw in some 5.38's (and truetracs?) after all.

Quick Reply: No longer a daily driver! will these mods still fit my needs