Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

No limit straps?

Old 02-06-2021, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts
Default No limit straps?

I had an interesting conversation with the guys at metalcloak a couple weeks ago. I asked why they don’t have limit straps in their kits. His response was because they let the shock bottom out and be the limiting factor in travel. I thought that was a bit odd but he said that for a slow moving suspension, a shock bottoming out isn’t a big deal. Anyone else use the shocks instead of a limit strap?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'm a bit surprised they flat out say that. I don't have straps, but that doesn't mean I think I'm doing my shocks any favors at all. I've always viewed shocks as disposable and never had serious money invested in em. My last set of Fox shocks (~$90ea) saw about 70k miles and some good wheelin and I replaced mainly due to opportunity rather than a blown shock. They actually seemed a lot better than I expected once I had em off. I put some Fox resi on now and they were quite a bit more expensive so I have thought back to this, but have taken no action yet.

One thing I will say I ran into in the earlier years is I used MC outboard brackets on the factory front shock brackets. My shocks were long travel and I got a lot of articulation in the front. I ended up totally twisting the axle side factory bracket due to the stress and allowing my shocks to be the limiting factor. That is what lead to me chopping off all factory brackets on my rubi axle and replacing with 1/4" artec brackets and truss. Then, the rude awakening was that due to the gussets, I couldn't outboard the new shock brackets enough so I was forced to STILL use the MC outboard brackets, though they wouldn't fit around the 1/4" artec brackets, so I had to chop/weld/fabricate. . My build was such a headache along the way.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I don’t think I have the guts to let my shocks take that abuse. Haha... it’s a grand to replace my current shocks. I do want to make my own outboard shock mounts though... eventually.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I don't disagree. I got my new shocks at cost, but they were still way more money than before and I will opt to protect them as well I think.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think most of us use the shocks as limit straps because we're too lazy to do the work in finding out how to maximize the travel. The reality is that 99% of these lifted vehicles don't hit dirt. The 1% that do, about half of them will actually push the suspension to the limits. I push mine and my shocks have felt the abuse. I'm due for new shocks soon.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Good you posted up the question.. thinking about it did some research.. here is Tech Tip:
Old 02-06-2021, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

TMR customs has some good limit strap parts. I’d like to rebuild how my limit straps are setup. Right now I’m still rocking the teraflex limit straps that came with the Jeep when I bought it. They’re not very refined, are mounted badly, and will need to be replaced when I relocate my shock mounts.

Ive been considering using this on the frame
https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collectio...gle-strap-1933

Then just weld a new double shear tab to the axle and I’ll be able to fine tune my limits.
Old 02-06-2021, 04:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would just weld up the brackets to fit your limit straps, those clevis mounts are nice and I have used them before but can be noisy and they are expensive vs a $6 bracket. https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/LIMIT-BRKT.html

Trail gear makes a real nice HD limit strap, so does Elrod. I bought a bunch of PRP straps that they had on sale for black friday, not as heavy duty but do the job on any crawler.

Personally I think limit straps should be part of any real build and they are useful for keeping your driveline happy. Most people just don't want to spend the money on straps or are ignorant to why they are used. My shock package was $8k and I want to keep them safe. I also have one on each differential to keep the driveshafts from going into bind while still maintaing 21" of actual wheel travel on either side.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

The tmr hardware is a bit spendy, I do like the adjustability of them since you will be able to adjust each corner exactly since one brand of strap may stretch more/less based in the weight of the axle, wheels, springs, etc.

But how do they make noise if all the hardware is tight?

Old 02-07-2021, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

They don't make any noise on mine...use them on all my builds.

Quick Reply: No limit straps?